Windswept Academy is a private, non-denominational Christian school located on the Cheyenne River Sioux Indian Reservation in Eagle Butte, South Dakota. Due to school growth, we are looking to hire two new teachers to begin Fall 2013. A job description
and job requirements are listed below.
Position: Teacher, 3rd and 4th grades
Responsible to: Windswept Academy Board
Supervises: Students, teachers Aide, volunteers
Type of Position: This is an annually contracted position that is paid on a salaried basis.
Primary Objectives: The teacher is responsible for providing an environment in which each individual student has the maximum opportunity to achieve intellectual, emotional, physical, spiritual and psychological growth. The teacher must organize and implement classroom programs following the “A Beka” curriculum. To achieve academic success the material must be presented in a way that can be understood and apprehended by each student. The teacher is a full member of the team, and will in every way endeavor to fulfill the vision, mission and objectives of Windswept Academy.
• Commits to living his/her life under the lordship of Christ and evidences this by seeking discernment, wisdom, and guidance through prayer and reliance on scripture.
• Oversight of the spiritual aspects of the school including students, teachers, staff and volunteers.
• Models a consistent daily walk with Jesus Christ, and is a Christian role model in speech, actions, and attitudes, which contributes to the spiritual atmosphere of the school.
• Believes the Bible to be the only infallible, authoritative, inerrant Word of God, our standard for faith and practice.
• Sets an example of the importance or prayer, scripture memorization, and the study of scripture.
• Believes and commits to following the school’s Statement of Faith.
• Oversees the effective integration of a Christian worldview through the use of Biblical principles and a strong philosophy of Christian education throughout the “A Beka” curriculum.
• Demonstrates evidence of consistent spiritual activities such as worship at a church, fellowship with the body of Christ, personal devotional time with the Lord, and individual study of scripture.
• Evidences the fruit of the Spirit in the nurturing of relationships with teachers and other staff members, students, families, and the community at large.
• Provide an example of character and faith to the student body and staff of Windswept Academy.
• Accept responsibility for assigned students, materials, classrooms and other facilities, and provide care and support in the best interests of each.
• Maintain both individual and classroom discipline with a balance of compassion and authority, and establish and maintain a classroom atmosphere conducive to learning. Abides to the discipline procedures established by Windswept Academy Board.
• Select and use effective instructional methods to enhance the “A Beka” curriculum and implement innovative and state of the art techniques where possible or applicable. Present the content of each subject area in such a way that all students are capable of achieving a maximum possible grasp of the material, regardless of their native talent.
• Inculcate in each student a desire for learning and for growth in faith, and encourage each to work to his or her greatest potential.
• Assist the Headmaster/Principal in preparation of the curriculum and teaching plans for the grades to which the teacher is assigned.
• Foster students' self-esteem, motivation, and sense of civic responsibility.
• Establish a cooperative relationship with all assigned students.
• Maintain open lines of communication with parents/guardians and effectively incorporate them into the school culture. Involve the parents/guardians in all issues, and unambiguously communicate the school’s vision and objectives for each student.
• Contribute articles to weekly or monthly news letters for parents.
• Accept extra curricular responsibilities such as bus duty, field trips, recess-physical education - recreation, cafeteria supervision, coordination of dramatic and musical performances, library coordinator, before and after school activities, homebound work sessions, homework study sessions and participate in fund-raising initiatives as needed.. Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Headmaster/Principal.
REQUIRED PROFESSIONAL ATTRIBUTES, SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
• A bachelor’s degree in primary education from an accredited college or university is required. Additional training and education will be favorably considered.
• Work experience is not a requirement for the teacher’s position but will be favorably considered.
• Demonstrates excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Demonstrates a high level of commitment to Christian education.
• Embraces the vision of the school, and strives for excellence by furthering the
mission of Windswept Academy.
• A firm grasp of the subject matter that will be taught. This may include educational specialization as required for the specific teaching position.
• Regular and predictable attendance and a highly developed work ethic.
• Capability to work independently, with minimal supervision, and able to effectively direct the work of one or more teacher’s aides.
• Self-motivation and willingness to accept responsibility.
• Expressed agreement with Windswept Academy’s Vision, Mission and Objectives Statements.
• Commitment to work in collaboration with other members of the Windswept Academy staff to achieve the overall purposes of the school program. Evident team player attitude.
• A demonstrated desire to grow in understanding of and respect for the Lakota culture, and to inculcate the value of this culture in the students.
Windswept Academy is looking for qualified individuals who are interested in providing a high level of service in Christian ministry to the children of Eagle Butte, South Dakota. You may visit our website at www.windsweptacademy.org for more information about our school or other positions we have available.
To apply for a position, please send a cover letter and resume by email or US mail to:
Attention: Hiring Coordinator
P.O. Box 1576
Eagle Butte, South Dakota 57625
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
ASSOCIATE DIRECTORProvidence Ministries, Inc.
- Dalton, Georgia
- September 30
CounselorSeoul Foreign School
- Seoul, Not Assigned
- September 26
Early Education TeacherCommunity 54:13 dba Children's Promise Centers
- Albuquerque, New Mexico
- September 21
Residential Counselor for Struggling TeensHeartlight Ministries
- Hallsville, Texas
- September 15
Family Teaching Couple (House Parents)The Children's Home
- Amarillo, Texas
- September 14