This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Family and Parent Educator
Northwest Family Services
Portland, Oregon, United States
Date Posted: 06/24/2009
Categories: Social Services
Job Type: Full-Time
Job Title: Family and Parent Educator
Reports To: Schools Program Manager
Classification: Exempt, Administrative
Position Time: 1.0 FTE
The Family and Parent Educator is primarily responsible for working with parents of Youth Solutions participants. The Family and Parent Educator provides recruitment, outreach, and skill-based workshops.
• Conduct engaging and interactive family workshops and parent education using existing curricula.
• Plans and offers family events
• Contacts parents whose children are involved in NWFS youth programs.
• Assists with evaluation.
• Provides information and referral to families.
• Works cooperatively with YS staff providing education, services, family events, and outreach to the community.
• Assists with outreach related to the YS project.
• Assists with training youth workers, adults, and youth leaders in effective strategies to reduce risk behavior such as sex, drugs, alcohol, and gang involvement.
• Works cooperatively with other NWFS staff to implement project objectives.
• Assists with data collection.
• Provide timely reports as required.
• Conduct other duties as assigned.
• Attend all staff meetings, training and development as required.
• Accept the guidance and supervision of the supervisor and management team in the spirit of establishing and maintaining an honest and professional working relationship.
• Prefer BA or BS
• Sufficient work in adolescents and some college considered.
• Bilingual, bi-cultural English and Spanish preferred, but not required
• Professional, polished presentation skills
• Experienced parent educator.
• Ability to multi-task
• High energy, self-directed, organized
• Able to work independently and take direction
• Works well with others
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Can work as part of a team
• Enjoys working with teens
• Proven ability to work effectively with youth and adults
• Willing to educate others on the benefits of waiting for sexual involvement
• Excellent understanding of the youth culture
• Experience with Office 2007
• Valid driver’s license, reliable car, and automobile insurance
• Available for some traveling with some evening and weekend work.
This position requires frequent and lengthy standing, speaking in a loud voice and ability to lift at least 30 pounds. Also, work is often performed in an office environment and involves frequent use of a computer. Frequent use of phones to communicate with current and potential partners and volunteers. Will drive to perform work with the community. May require occasional travel out-of-town. Availability to work evenings is required.
Submit cover letter and resume to:
Northwest Family Services
6200 SE King Rd
Portland, OR 97222