This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Director of Family Ministry
Church of the Messiah
Fredericksburg, Virginia, United States
Date Posted: 05/20/2009
Job Type: Part-Time
The Director of Family Ministry will oversee the Children’s Ministry Coordinator, including the Church Nursery and staff and Children’s Programs for Kindergarten through 12th Grade. (When a Youth Leader is found, the Youth Leader will then take over the direction of our Middle and High School Sunday School students programs and events. The Youth Leader will also coordinate/communicate with the Director of Family Ministry. The Children’s Ministry Coordinator, at that point, will be responsible for Nursery through 5th Grade students and their programs.)
The primary role of the Director will be to recruit, train and develop the Family (and Children’s) Ministry team leaders and provide programs and materials to encourage and help transform our children into committed disciples who love others and love and follow Jesus Christ.
This is a PART TIME (20 hours per week) Position located in Fredericksburg, VA.
Specific Responsibilities of the DFM at COTM:
• Provide a safe, secure, loving and nurturing environment for all children at COTM
• Coordinate all aspects of Family and Children’s Ministry, including Sunday School, VBS, Christmas and Lenten programs, and at least four other family events. Family events will be open to everyone, and church families will be encouraged to invite friends and relatives to COTM.
• Oversight of Nursery Coordinator and staff (volunteer or paid) through Children’s Ministry Coordinator, including the selection or hiring of child care providers.
• Approve all Children’s/Family ministries programs, activities and disbursement of funds for supplies and projects
• Attends weekly staff meetings to ensure good communication and coordination with other staff members, promote best use of resources
• Coordinate with other committees and vestry members, as needed, concerning events, budgets, and shared projects
• Prepare and present a yearly budget to the vestry each October for the next calendar year.
• Approve and purchase curricula (or create own) for children in accordance with COTM values. Work with Team to choose and implement these curricula.
• Work with the Family Ministry Team to provide vision, goals, mission statement, and values that support COTM.
• With the help of the Family Ministry Team, find new ways to reach out to young families and their children both in this church and in our community, to make disciples for Christ.
• Recruit, train and manage Sunday School VBS, and children and family ministry leasers.
• Purchase and maintain materials needed for Sunday School, VBS, Children’s education and family programs
• Purchase equipment needed for classrooms and Nursery
• Hold Monthly Family Ministry Team Meetings
• Hold Quarterly training sessions for teachers, volunteers, and a place to share ideas, feedback, encouragement, and training.
• Create resource file, including lesson ideas
• Find ways to show appreciation for teachers and other volunteers
• Coordinate with parents about children’s/family activities and lessons, articles of interest, suggested readings through website, monthly Messenger , bulletins, etc
• Network with other Children and Family Ministry Coordinators/Directors in the area
• Attend continuing education so COTM is growing in knowledge and skill
The Director of Family Ministry will report directly to Father Jim, meeting weekly to inform him of programs, activities, and other ministry joys and concerns.