This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Affinity Director of Music Ministry
Affinity Missionary Baptist Church
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
Date Posted: 05/08/2009
Job Type: Full-Time
Director of Music Ministries
Music is an integral component within the life and ministry of the Affinity Missionary Baptist Church located in Cleveland, Ohio. The music ministry shall be carried out in accordance with a Program plan compiled by the Music Director and approved by the Senior Pastor. This Plan will involve the Director as an educator, and a principal contributing musician to this congregation. As an educator, the Director will teach music and explain musical concepts to members of the various choirs. The Director of Music Ministries shall, by example, lead the musicians and choir members in exemplifying the Christian spirit of Affinity Missionary Baptist Church in fulfilling their ministry. Inspired by a God given call to full-time music ministry, the Director will be diligent in preparation and performance as a musician, and will work cooperatively with others to provide and enable the highest possible standard of music ministry within the Church Body.
The Director of Music Ministry must view music ministry as a full-time vocational calling from God, and must be willing to commit full-time to the People of God known as the Affinity Missionary Baptist Church in answer to that calling. The Director must be able to convey an understanding of God’s love for God’s people; and God’s desire that they, through music and worship, convey their love for God and God’s love for the world as demonstrated in the Good News of Jesus Christ. A willingness to grow in one’s faith and in one’s gifts as the Ministry of Music continues to evolve within the life of the Church is a must.
1) Must hold a minimum of a Bachelor of Music degree or equivalent “on-the-job” experience in church music ministry.
2)Must demonstrate competence in performing and teaching both contemporary and traditional forms of Christian coral music; including contemporary and traditional Gospel; praise and worship songs; hymns; spirituals and anthems.
3)Must demonstrate competence in Organ and/or Piano performance with the ability to read music and play by ear.
4)Must demonstrate ability to supervise and lead a group of musicians to accomplish an established plan for music ministry.
5)Must demonstrate ability to teach, train, prepare, and direct choirs (50 plus members) for Sunday services and special church events.
6)Must demonstrate the ability to work cooperatively in the context of team ministry under the supervision of the Senior Pastor and in cooperation with other staff and volunteers to accomplish the mission and vision of Affinity Missionary Baptist Church.
Description of Responsibilities
The Director of Music Ministries will:
1) Have primary responsibility for the development, execution and evaluation of Affinity’s total Music Ministry. This will include development and administration of the Music Ministry budget; the promotion of the music ministry within the total life of the Church Body; and the recruitment, training and motivation of staff and volunteers to work cooperatively in providing excellence in music ministry.
2) Develop, and submit to Senior Pastor, an annual individual performance plan for self and to lead the music staff in developing individual performance plans to support the overall music ministry.
3) Supervise and evaluate employed musicians against performance plan and provide primary supervision to the Music staff.
4) Provide musical direction, instruction and organizational leadership to the Music Ministry staff, including the Sanctuary, Morning Praise, and Children’s Choirs; Male Chorus; and Teen Praise Team.
5) To provide rehearsal time for each group on Tuesday and/or Thursday evenings or on a schedule deemed appropriate in consultation with the choir members and Senior Pastor.
6) To select and prepare repertoire most appropriate for each choir and each worship context.
7) To provide musical direction and keyboard/piano/organ accompaniment during 8:00 and 10:45 worship services, special church wide services (i.e. funerals, revivals, special seasonal services, etc.), and services as guests of Sister Churches.
The Director of Music Ministry shall be responsible to the Senior Pastor. An annual Performance Plan for the Director of Music Ministry will be submitted to, approved and evaluated by the Senior Pastor.
Submit Resume with Cover Letter to:
Affinity Missionary Baptist Church
Attn: Human resource Team
4411 East 175th Street
Cleveland, OH 44128