This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Youth at Risk Counselor
The Salvation Army
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Date Posted: 02/25/2011
Categories: Missions/Domestic - Social Services
Job Type: Full-Time
The Youth at Risk Counselor serves to provide direct counseling services to students in local elementary and middle schools who have been assessed to be at risk by their school administration/faculty team. The Counselor serves as the direct link between The Salvation Army Northside Corps and both the local school counselor/teacher as well as parent and/or guardian as well as the young person himself/herself. The counselor will also be directly involved in linking the persons in his/her caseload to the full gamut of Salvation Army ministries at the corp and will give supplemental support to selected programs. The Counselor will take on added responsibilities in an envisioned Youth Center which is in primitive stages of development. This will be with a view to developing and providing a continuum of services to the student in the Army facility itself. The Youth at Risk Counselor
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Give oversight to all components of Youth at Risk Counseling Program. Including weekly physical fitness program involving a select group from active/past caseload
• Maintain weekly counseling caseload with students from local elementary and middle schools (currently serving five schools)
• Provide intervention and support to multi-problem, academically challenged youth with a view to helping the child achieve improvement in: a.) academics, b.) attendance and c.) behavior.
• Maintain current contacts with school representatives. This will include teacher consultations, working with school counselors to identify students who might be potential candidates etc.
• Complete all required paperwork and maintain case files including written narratives and reports to C.O.
• Communicate with parents/guardians of clients.
• Maintain and process updates for current contracts/agreements with Pittsburgh City School District/Board of Education for YAR authorization.
• Develop and implement seasonal (summer) small group activities/recreation promoting social skill building and providing and environment for mentoring
• Responsible for recruitment, application, processing of summer campers for Camp Allegheny from client/contact base
• Responsible to process client family applications for Seasonal Social Services Assistance and substitute for Caseworker when necessary
• Assist with Seasonal Social Service Programs, including Summer Camp, Project Bundle Up and Christmas, including help with transportation.
• Give input to development of Youth Center with a particular view toward implemented extended services within the Center itself including extended counseling and tutoring sessions
• Support and attend Sunday School and Morning Worship
• Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Use of personal vehicle (mileage reimbursed).
• Skills to work cooperatively in school and family environment
• State/Childline/FBI clearances
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Human Services, Psychology/Counseling or related field
• Outreach experience with schools, families and youth preferred
Salvation Army Mission Statement
The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.