Job Title: Accounting Manager
Area/Location: Support Services/San Jose, CA
Reports to: VP Finance
Subordinates: General Accountant, Accounting Specialist, AP & Finance Administrator
Date Submitted for Approval: 4.3.17
Job Description Approved: 4.3.17
Classification: Manager/Full time, Exempt
Salary: Range starts at $65,000/DOE
The Accounting Manager is a key member of our Finance Team and an integral part of the Support Services Department. This financial professional is not only capable and experienced in accounting, but is also expected to play a key role in managing, shaping,
and protecting the ministry in the area of financial stewardship. Our ideal candidate will see this role as a ministry, not just a job. The Accounting Manager will oversee several aspects of the Finance Department, including payroll, fixed assets, accounts
payable, accounts receivable, cash receipts, account reconciliations, external reporting and registration requirements, insurance renewal process, and maintenance of department files and calendar. The Accounting Manager must have the ability to plan and organize
work efficiently, setting clear, measurable, and realistic goals, keep up-to-date with developments in the accounting, finance, and tax fields.
The Accounting Manager will work closely with staff from other departments, and is responsible to train, supervise, and mentor staff in areas related to finance policies and procedures. To be successful, you must be able to work in a fast-paced work environment,
while maintaining a positive and cooperative working relationship with others. We are looking for someone who is passionate about serving God, will provide leadership to the Finance Department, and values being an integral part of the Support Services Team.
- Maintain and enforce all accounting policies and practices and inform finance and general leadership of potential or actual problems or violations.
- Manage Payroll, Fixed Assets, Cash Receipts, and Accounts Payable processes and related systems, including vendor interface to ensure accuracy.
- Manage assigned areas of responsibility to completion: examples may include charitable organization reporting, welfare exemption claims, property lease file management, insurance renewal applications, etc.
- Assist in ensuring adequate financial controls are implemented and maintained throughout the ministry.
- Effectively prepare account reconciliation and analysis on a timely basis.
- Coordinate and support the annual audit process to ensure effective, efficient audit.
- Coordinate and support the annual budget process, as requested.
- Assist in managing assets of the organization effectively, reducing costs to needed levels.
- Review and post gift income batches to general ledger.
- Assist with other duties, as assigned.
- Interact effectively with leadership and staff at all levels.
- Keep current with developments in the accounting, payroll, tax, and software fields.
- Participate in hands-on ministry within Cityteam Ministries.
- Advocate for Cityteam with your circles of influence to help raise funds for our programs through missionary support.
PLEASE NOTE: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each of the essential duties satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Stand and sit for prolonged amounts of time
- Walk, bend, kneel, and twist
- Talk and hear
- Occasionally lift and move up to 20 pounds
- Finger and hand dexterity to feel, handle, and operate objects, tools or controls, and to reach with hands and arms
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus
Required Education and Experience
- 4-year degree in related field or demonstrated competency in an equivalent field
- 2-year minimum experience in a supervisory role
- Computer literate and proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
- Advanced MS Excel skills
- Proficiency with 10-Key
Preferred Education and Experience
- Advanced degree in related field
- Non-Profit GAAP
- Experience with cloud-based Payroll/HRIS
- This job operates in a professional office environment
- This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines
- Days and hours of work are typically Monday through Friday between 9:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications for Cityteam Ministries
- Must have an intimate, personal relationship with Jesus Christ
- Must be active in a local Christian body of believers or at least pursuing community with other Christ-followers
- Must have compatible theology on major issues of Cityteam's Statement of Faith
- Must be committed to serving God and the body of Christ