Position Goal: To oversee the management of the Mount Carmel kitchen staff to efficiently plan and prepare delicious meals for the guests of Mount Carmel Ministries helping achieve the organizational values of Hospitality and Christian
1. Plan and arrange for all meals served to Mount Carmel guests year round.
- Provide nutritious and attractive from scratch meals.
- Provide alternate meals for special dietary needs and allergies.
- Plan menus to deliver high quality food at the affordable prices within budget.
- Manage food service products inventory needed to serve guest needs.
- Work with a variety of food service vendors to get the best pricing.
2. Hiring and management of Lead Cooks, Assistant Cooks, and Kitchen Assistants
- Coordinate with Operations Director to post job openings, interviewing, and hiring.
- Train, schedule, and manage kitchen staff year round
3. Train and supervise staff in the following areas:
- Working together as a kitchen staff team
- Food preparation
- Cleaning - dish washing, equipment, kitchen and dining room facilities
- Set up for and serving of meals
- Safety and chemicals
4. Obtain and maintain the necessary licensing (ServSafe and State of MN Food Manager Certificate) required in order to operate the kitchen.
5. Maintain the cleanliness of the kitchen and dining hall in accordance with the MN State Health Department requirements, and in a way that reflects our concern for the people we are serving.
6. In partnership with the Operations Director,
- Set pricing and prepare menus for wedding receptions, rehearsal dinners, holiday parties, and other special event meals.
- Schedule and manage kitchen staff for special events including setup and cleanup.
7. Communicate with Summer Registrar regarding scheduling of camp weeks, groups and events, the expected number of guests, suggested menus, and other issues that arise.
8. Keep up to date on menu options, food allergies, and effective kitchen management practices through continuing education.
9. Coordinate with Operations Director and Maintenance Director any needs for repairs or replacement of kitchen equipment.
10. Coordinate with Summer Staff Scheduler and Program Director related to summer staff help.
11. During the summer season, when guests aren’t onsite plan meals options for summer staff.
- Experience hiring, training, scheduling, and managing a staff in a food service environment with tight deadlines and multiple requests
- Menu planning and cooking from scratch for large quantity groups experience
- ServeSafe and State of MN Food Manager certifications
- Dietary requests menu planning experience
- Strong sense of customer service
- Good organizational and communication skills
- Flexibility and creative problem solving
- A willingness to be part of a team dedicated to the mission of this Christ-centered ministry