The Director of Children & Family Ministries is responsible to develop and ensure a safe, sound and sprouting Children’s program welcoming children through their completion of 5th grade. The director shall seek to foster a strong program through
building relationships with children, parents, volunteers, and church leaders to instill God’s love, through the faith in Jesus Christ, and lay a foundation that will empower children to live out their developing Christian values.
Accountable to: Supervising Pastor: _________________________, SPRC
Compensation: To be discussed
- Develop and lead all aspects of the children’s ministry programs and activities.
- Design a children annual program with strategic plan of goals to be fulfilled supporting the vision and mission of the church.
- Recruit and train children’s quality leaders/workers.
- Draft, submit & monitor the children’s ministry annual budget.
- Initiate and implement approaches that will engage the children’s parents and families.
- Be informed and implement the church’s child protection policy and procedures.
- Generate new ideas and programs valuing a team concept in ministry with the pastoral staff and leadership team to coordinate all programs in concert with the church’s overall vision.
- Communicate program news frequently with the congregation and community.
- Available to church and community at large through regularly scheduled office hours.
- Adopt and promote quality and current resources applicable to early childhood development.
- Meet with supervising pastor to implement the vision and goals for the Children and Families Program.
A sense of call and passion for working with children
Strong Christian faith and a commitment to sharing the Good News
An appreciation of the United Methodist Church; its polity and theological tradition
An understanding of child development
Good organizational, communication, teaching and computer skills
Enthusiastic & flexible team approach while working with children, parents & team
Knowledgeable in operation of common computer programs such as Microsoft Office,
PowerPoint, and Outlook.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Minimum of bachelor’s degree, preferred in education/childhood development
- Minimum 2 years of experience demonstrated with preschool/children up to 5th grade
- Proven leadership and teaching skills
The Children & Families Director will keep the Director of Operations & supervising pastor informed
as to how he/she may be contacted.
Provide and fulfill office hours interwoven with schedule of special events, programming,
& worship services.
Notify the supervising pastor or Director of Operations prior to any unforeseen absence from regularly
scheduled hours, events or duties, & provide a suitable substitute in case of anticipated absence.
Hours and schedule will be discussed and agreed upon as needed with the supervising pastor &
Review of performance and goal setting will be completed annually with SPRC and continually
with supervising pastor.
Attend and participate in weekly staff meetings.