Please submit your resume and request an Application at: Employment@trinityclassicalacademy.com
REPORTS TO: Chief Operating Officer
DIRECT REPORTS: None
POSITION OBJECTIVE: Assistant Controller to come alongside CFO; playing a key role and taking ownership of accounting aspects of our growing school; reviewing financial records to check accuracy and compliance with regulations and laws,
keeping track of earnings and spending, organizing financial records, assisting management with improving financial policies, making recommendations for cutting costs and boosting cash flow, internal auditing of organization in accordance with GAAP. (Generally
Accepted Accounting Principles)
QUALIFYING CHARACTERISTICS: The employee is a Christian with an authentic and a mature personal relationship with Jesus Christ in both their professional and personal life with a calling and commitment to Christian education. Qualified
candidates will possess a servant’s heart, support our School’s Mission and possess the ability to deal with sensitive issues in a tactful and professional manner; as well as be able to address concerns and offer suggestions in an appropriate and confidential
EDUCATIONAL AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: Generally, any combination of education that would provide the required knowledge and skills for successful performance would qualify. A typical method of demonstrating these requirements would be:
EDUCATION: A bachelor’s degree in accounting from an accredited college or university. A CPA license is a plus but not required.
EXPERIENCE: Two to three years of related hands-on experience.
KNOWLEDGE OF: Purposes, methods, and practices of financial and accounting record keeping; Basic accrual accounting principles and procedures; Intermediate to Advanced level Excel and PC skills. Auditing, General
Accounting and Financial Reporting experience. Payroll, payroll taxes, Insurance, Workers Compensation, Benefits, Retirement plans.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to communicate effectively in a variety of situations
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment
- Ability to discern, understand and communicate school specific financial regulations and standards
- Organizational and administrative abilities
- Ability to work with and maintain confidential and sensitive information
- Able to work independently as well as a collaborative part of a team
- Responsible and dependable
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Performs work assignments with demonstrated sense of professionalism and quality
- Willingness to undertake special projects
- Willingness to work over and above the minimum 40 hours per week, as required and necessary.
- Assist CFO with Board meeting needs
- Prepare monthly financials in accordance with GAAP; includes preparing journal entries and monthly “clean up.”
- Process all assets and depreciation for financials with complete audit trail
- Support budget planning and process; collaborate with Administration on direct spending to work budget requirements
- Monitor budget vs. actual. Effectively communicate and present the critical financial matters to the CFO and Head of School
- Provide checks and balances for organization by reconciling all bank and finance accounts
- Assist with audit preparation
- Assist with all special project / program and capital project accounting
- Manage the curriculum purchasing process. Work closely with Principals to manage curriculum budget; advise Administration on
- improvement objectives
- Manage and Reconcile bi-monthly payroll through PAYCHEX
- Work closely with COO and Administrative Accounts Coordinator on Receivables/Tuition Collections
- Perform other duties in pursuit of the school’s mission as assigned by the CFO and Head of School.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Cash Maintenance- Prepare monthly bank reconciliations, record cash receipts in the G/L, review all check disbursements for validity and accuracy, maintain necessary funding requirements, including ACH wire transfers
- Accounts Payable Review - Provide first level review for all accounts payable activities including invoice coding and entry processing, monitor the aging of payables and set-up all new vendors
- Month-End Closing – Perform month-end close and prepare financial statements including entering and posting of journal entries, prepare various schedules for balance sheet support including amortization and fixed asset schedules
- Other Financial Reporting – Complete all grant compliance reports and budget-to-actual variance reports for all schools
- Resolve inquiries from clients/parents, vendors and governmental agencies
- Assist in special projects and year-end audit schedule preparation
- Share ideas for improved efficiencies within the organization
The above description covers the most significant duties performed, but does not restrict the administration’s right to assign or reassign other reasonable duties, responsibilities, or expectations to this job at any time, with or without advance notice.
The information contained in the job description is for compliance with the American with Disabilities Act and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individual currently holding this position
and additional duties may be assigned.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Must be able to sit for extended period of time, repetitious hand and body movements, simple grasping, fine and gross motor skills. Stand and walk when administering care. Must be able to bend, squat, kneel, push,
pull and lift up to 20 pounds. Must be able to climb one flight of stairs.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Administrative & Finance office, use of computer/monitor screen; generally works in a group office environment. Noise level is typically low with the exception of times between class periods.
EXEMPT STATUS: Exempt
WORK SCHEDULE: Calendar Year; School Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., or as needed beyond these hours.