I. Position Summary:
The Manager, Accounting will be responsible for analyzing, processing and inputting accounting data to produce accurate and timely financial results while ensuring compliance with all applicable state and federal laws and generally accepted accounting principles.
II. Essential Functions:
1. Monitoring and maintaining the Church’s accounting systems (Ministry Platform and Shelby).
2. Prepare/review and record monthly journal entries as required to produce accurate financial reports.
3. Supervise monthly accounting closing. Assist with preparation of monthly financial statements for all funds. Prepare special reports for Finance Committee Meetings and other presentations.
4. Review financial statements and general ledgers for significant variances from budget. Research causes and report findings to management.
5. Supervise donor contribution and other cash receipts processing.
6. Supervise Bookstore and Food Services accounting activity.
7. Maintain Non-Cash Gift files. Coordinate recording of gift and entry to general ledger.
8. Develop and maintain Accounting procedures for all areas of the Finance Department.
9. Assist Director, Finance with supervision of Finance personnel as directed.
10. Assist with annual budget preparation, annual audit, and other projects as directed.
11. Prepare/review monthly account reconciliations and recurring journal entries.
12. Prepare Weekly Cash reports for management
13. Prepare Annual Cash Forecast for Operating fund and weekly reports against that forecast. 14. Maintain working knowledge of all Finance areas (A/P, A/R, Payroll, Fixed Assets, Contributions and Cash Receipts) and assist during any vacancies in these
15. Perform other accounting duties as workload requires.
1. Candidate must have a growing & mature, demonstrated personal relationship with Jesus Christ. 2. Bachelor’s degree in Accounting required. Advanced degree a plus.
3. Previous 3-5 years work experience in Accounting, preferably in a nonprofit environment.
4. Experience in financial statement preparation and analysis.
5. Experience with automated accounting systems (Shelby or Ministry Platform a plus).
6. Ability to maintain and protect church confidential and proprietary information.
7. High level of interpersonal and relationship skills essential when working with ministry departments and staff members.
8. Ministry-minded focus with the ability to cultivate a team spirit within the Finance ministry and the church.
9. Effective problem analysis and resolution skills.
10. Above average ability to be flexible, organize, manage time and set/shift priorities while meeting deadlines.
11. Ability to develop, plan, and implement ministry- and church-related, short- and long-range goals, as well as to interpret, adapt, and apply guidelines and procedures.
12. Proficiency with Microsoft Office Products (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and accounting software.