Job Title: Development Officer
Area/Location: San Jose, California
Reports to: City Director, San Jose
Date Submitted Revision: 12/9/16
Job Description Approved: 12/9/16
Salary: Range starts at $60,000/DOE
Do you have a heart for those struggling with poverty, homelessness, and addiction? Are you a people person who enjoys building relationships? Do you thrive off of making connections, finding out what matters to people, and matching them with opportunities
to serve and give? Cityteam is looking for a Development Officer to join our team. As a Development Officer, you will be tasked with engaging with existing donors to increase their involvement and giving. You will also be responsible for introducing new donors
to Cityteam and engaging with them so that they become ambassadors of our mission.
Our Development Officer will help with event planning, volunteer activities, and giving tours. If you enjoy one-on-one conversations and speaking to crowds of people, this may be the position for you. The Development Officer will build partnerships with
individuals, churches, and other organizations and business networking groups.
Our new Development Officer will work in tandem with the other Development Officers to secure gifts to support operations for all areas, especially the San Jose based ministries. The ideal candidate will celebrate others’ success and not look at them as
competition. It is crucial that you effectively collaborate with all of the other departments and program staff. Our areas of focus may be different, but we’re all working toward the same goal. This is a full time exempt position.
- Secure gifts from donors in cash and pledges through a program of personal direct solicitation and developing and maintaining relationships with a sufficient number of donors to meet yearly fundraising goals.
- Plan and execute fundraising events in partnership with program staff.
- Work in partnership with Program Staff to develop the most effective donor development strategies for each major donor.
- Mentor/Coach Program Staff to develop donor strategies that maximize their donors’ giving potential.
- Work with the City Director, Marketing Department, and other Development Officers to ensure appropriate information and materials are made available to donors.
- Work cooperatively with all staff, including those in the programs and Support Staff.
- Regularly represent Cityteam as a speaker in churches, service clubs, business networking groups, etc.
- Be involved in a personal, hands-on ministry within Cityteam.
- Submit reports of development activities as required.
- Must have a personal and consistent relationship with Jesus Christ and active in a local Christian body of believers.
- Must have compatible theology on major issues of Cityteam Statement of Faith.
- Must be committed to serving God and the Body of Christ.
- Must have a teachable spirit and be committed to team participation.
- Experience in donor development required.
- Must be goal oriented and able to successfully achieve established goals.
- Needs to be relationship-focused, a good listener, and sensitive to donors’ needs.
- Must be committed to personal stewardship and be able to challenge others with their stewardship responsibilities.
- BA or equivalent experience required, preferably with training in the sales field.
- Must be willing to pursue education and training in fields relating to the position.
- Experience with Salesforce preferred.