Children and Youth Director
Vision Statement for Children and Youth Ministry
All children and youth are part of the present church. We strive to nurture, develop and grow their faith. Families are essential parts of children and must be central to the program.
The Children and Youth Director will implement the vision of the Christian Education Commission by developing high quality and engaging classes, groups, and events for all ages of children and youth. Points of emphasis of this person would be engagement
with families to encourage participation, helping our young people to grow spiritually, and increasing participation in the children and youth programs. We desire a person with strong leadership skills who can teach others to be effective leaders.
1) Strong Christian faith and a commitment to education of youth and children.
2) Willingness to comply with the standard of conduct for Christians as defined by the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
3) Display a passion for connecting with youth in the realities of their daily circumstances, and demonstrate the ability to engage in a warm and caring manner with children, youth, and adults.
4) Ability to mentor children and youth.
5) Organized and has effective communication skills.
6) Familiar and comfortable with social media and other modern communication techniques.
7) Music gifts highly desirable
The Youth Director will work with the Christian Education Commission under the daily direction of the pastor as he or she implements plans in each of these areas. Adult volunteers for the congregation will be called upon to provide their skills, talents,
time and other resources.
1) Regular youth group meetings.
2) Assist the pastor in planning and conducting Confirmation courses.
3) Special children and youth fellowship events.
4) Service projects for children, youth, and families.
5) Special events to encourage growth and spiritual formation in youth such as retreats, concerts, lock-ins, etc.
6) Youth-led worship services.
7) Help Christian Education Commission wisely manage financial resources available for this work.
8) Integrate youth and children into the regular life of the church by encouraging them to participate in regular and special church activities and events, mission/outreach programs, etc.
Relationship Building and Encouragement
The Youth Director will build relationships with families, youth and children and make use of those relationships to help youth and children grow spiritually. The following are a few examples of ways this can be accomplished.
1) Encourage families, children, and youth to participate in summer camping programs.
2) Communicate with families about children’s and youth events and programs. Use appropriate forms of technology to publicize these events and programs including the church website, the church Facebook page, the bulletin, and the newsletter. Frequency
of this communication will vary from daily to monthly.
3) Attend Sunday morning worship regularly. Lead youth group and other events frequently.
4) Be available to visit potential new families seeking a church home with the pastor.
5) Recruit, train, and support volunteers for specific tasks with focus on developing a discipleship model for parents and other adults to assist with regular youth group meetings and other activities/events.
Accountability, Hours, and Compensation
1) The Children and Youth Director will be accountable to the pastor and Christian Education Commission.
2) Expected hours for this job are 30/week.
3) Compensation based upon skills and experience.
4) Willingness to grow through continuing education opportunities
5) There are no medical/retirement benefits for this job other than funding (amount TBD) for training.