Job title: Youth Minister
Responsible to: the Board of Elders through the Minister.
Job Purpose: To give spiritual leadership and oversight to all aspect of the children and youth ministry in the George Town Charge of the United Church.
1. Planning and organizing:-
- Develop a long-term (initially 3-5 years) vision for the youth ministry of the George
Town Charge, involving all relevant stakeholders - parents / youth leaders / youth/
- Develop a strategic plan for the youth ministry, to be approved by the Outreach committee of the Board of Elders.
- Produce a handbook for the youth ministry, which includes clear, agreed aims, policies,
procedures and guidelines.
- Oversee all the youth work and give direction and leadership through regular meetings
with section leaders.
- Plan, organize and/or deliver training as and when needed.
- Work closely with Sunday school Superintendent, teachers and other youth work
volunteers to ensure effective delivery of ministry.
2. Monitoring, evaluating and reviewing all the youth work:-
. Devise efficient ways of monitoring the effectiveness of each youth group, based on
agreed criteria in the Youth Handbook.
- Carry out a twice-yearly review of the youth programmes in the Charge and present an
evaluation to the Outreach committee of the elders, along with specific recommendations
based on the strategic plan.
3. Communication and pastoral involvement:-
- Devise methods of keeping the congregation updated on all youth activities, and
encouraging them to be involved.
- Present a report twice per year - based on agreed criteria (see above) to the Outreach
committee, and updates as requested for congregational meetings.
- Oversee regular home visitation of the youth as needed.
- Develop methods of regular communication with parents/guardians and way of involving them in the ministry.
- Ensure that counseling is available.
Required qualities of all church staff:-
. Spiritual maturity.
. Ability and commitment in the area in which they work.
- Personal integrity.
- Ability to communicate clearly.
- Good inter-personal skills.