Council on Development
The Associate Director for the Council on Development (COD) will help equip local churches to grow generous steward to advance the mission and vision of the West Ohio Conference
Hired By: Executive Director Council on Development Reports To: Ex. Director COD
Supervises: None Evaluated: Annually
Schedule: This is a full-time position with normal working hours 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday with occasional evenings and weekends. Approximately 50% of the first year will be dedicated to the New Church Start/Revitalization initiative.
- Professes Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.
- Active faith within a Christian faith community with knowledge of United Methodist beliefs, practices, and organizational structure.
- Commitment to personal spiritual growth through regular study of scripture and prayer.
- Considers this position a ministry calling, not simply a job.
- Demonstrates the fruit of the Spirit as a byproduct of a growing faith.
Professional Responsibilities (Essential):
- Establish an intentional Conference-wide stewardship initiative to create a culture of “Growing Generous Stewards”:
- Consultations with local church pastors and leaders to “Grow Generous Givers” with a year-round stewardship plan with specific next step plans and follow up.
- Available for District Leadership training events on stewardship.
- Integrate stewardship into all planned giving dialogue and programs.
- Recommend and coordinate development of all appropriate communication resources related to stewardship including website, recommended resources, brochures, newsletters, blogs, etc.
- Incorporate faithfulness with connectional giving into the stewardship discussion.
- Development and implementation of a major gifts system:
- Identification of potential major gift prospects throughout the WOC.
- Establish strategies for cultivation of these major gift prospects.
- Execute strategies for the solicitation and closing of major gift invitation for WOC initiatives.
- Provide training for WOC leaders for understanding and implementing major gift strategies.
- Support the creation of a system for major gift culture in the WOC.
- Assist and train local church and other UMC organizations to create opportunities for invitations to make gifts to conference and local church causes.
- Plan and oversee scheduling of major gift awareness and/or cultivation events to invite opportunities for significant gifts to conference initiatives.
- Oversee and support and intentional program for local church planned giving programs:
- Coordinate planned giving strategies with the Executive Director.
- Develop a planned giving presentation to be utilized as an overview in the local church.
- Assist the local church in the development of a comprehensive year round planned giving program.
- Share the benefits of the COD planned giving vehicles with an invitation to participate.
- Create strong partnerships with unpaid leadership on behalf of the COD:
- Help identify and enlist leaders to either serve on the COD or as team members.
- Build strong, healthy accountability relationships with these servants.
- Enlistment of team members for initiatives related to stewardship campaigns, planned giving and endowments.
- Ensure success of day to day operations of the COD:
- Assist in the evaluation, planning and implementation of current and future COD strategies related to stewardship development, major gifts, annual appeals, and planned giving.
- Cooperate in the development of all appropriate communication resources related to fundraising including brochures, newsletters, blogs, website etc.
- Support planning and implementation of appropriate communications and events to thank donors.
- Utilize technology (pc/scan/fax/text) effectively and efficiently.
- Alternate funding sources:
- Research alternate funding sources including corporations and foundations.
- Determine the appropriate guidelines and oversee the grant application process.
- Assure completion of annual reporting required by the organizations.
- Desired outcomes:
- Foster an environment in which stewardship is the foundation for all COD activities.
- Intentionality as a resource with local churches to establish annual stewardship and planned giving initiatives.
- Annual district and/or regional COD sponsored training opportunities.
- Evaluate and expand the giving opportunities for conference initiatives, local churches, and UMC organizations.
- Focused strategy to cultivate individuals for current gifts as well as planned giving including charitable gift annuities, endowments, estate plans for the WOC initiatives.
- Assist the COD staff to establish annual goals.
- West Ohio Council on Development staff:
- Coordination of ministry with the E.D. and the Administrative Coordinator.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Self-Starter: Ability to take initiative, work independently, and hold oneself accountable.
- Organized and Deadline-Oriented: Ability to perform the essential functions of the job in a regular and predictable manner, manage multiple projects with converging deadlines while maintaining a positive, can-do attitude.
- Resourceful: Aptitude for thinking “outside the box,” and finding creative and effective means for meeting goals.
- Creative: Ability to develop original ideas.
- Problem-Solver: Capable of finding solutions to challenges and obstacles.
- Flexible: Willingness to adjust schedules and priorities as necessary and to report to work immediately and remain for extended periods when needed.
- Team Player: Ability to work effectively with others, both inside and outside the Conference.
- Lifelong Learner: Initiative to learn new skills, techniques, and ways to accomplish projects and goals.
- Coachable: Willingness to take direction, receive suggestions, and to be challenged.
- Trustworthy: Commitment to abide by a strict code of confidentiality.
- Professional: Positively represents the Conference in word, deed and appearance.
- Leadership: model and teach stewardship as a lifestyle of generosity.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in related field.
- Minimum 5 years experience in Development, Fundraising, Major Gifts and/or Planned Giving.
- Hands-on experience with identification, strategy, cultivation, solicitation, and closing current and/or deferred major gifts.
- Successful experience managing day to day organizational operations.
- Evidence of experience in strategic planning.
- Presentation expertise with small and large groups.
- History of effective recruiting, training and deployment of paid and unpaid leadership.
- Demonstrated commitment to inclusivity for all God’s people.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands and fingers, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. This position requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies, up to 20 pounds.
This position will require frequent travel.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Work from Home-Member SpecialistAmeriplan
- Any City or State, FT & PT, Based out of, Texas
- September 27
Board Operator-Denver, COSalem Media Group
- Denver, Colorado
- September 23
Chief Development OfficerForgotten Children Worldwide
- Bluffton, Indiana
- September 21
Community Development Manager (Non-profit Outside Sales)Children of the Nations
- Seattle, Washington
- September 20
Executive DirectorVictory Ministries of Alaska
- Sutton, Alaska
- September 8
West Ohio Conference of the United Methodist Church
The West Ohio Conference of the United Methodist Church exists to "make disciples for the transformation of the world" by serving more than 800 churches in 8 districts throughout west Ohio. Providing resources and content specific knowledge to our local churches allows us to partner with them in fulfilling our mission and vision. More...