International Ministerial Fellowship (IMF) is an association of churches, clergy, chaplains, missionaries and para-church organizational leaders, with 1,300 members in the United States and 36 foreign countries. It was organized in 1958 and re-chartered as a Minnesota corporation in 1985. Its mission is to glorify Christ, make Christ known, and to be used as a support team to those called to Christian service. Its purpose is to complete the IMF Mission through our five pillars of ministry support:
- To love, serve, encourage and help enable persons called to serve in front-line Christian ministry.
- To serve the local church by providing membership in the Fellowship and meaningful support services to the Pastor and leadership of the congregation.
- To provide a Mission Sending Agency that recruits and sends missionaries to nations of the world.
- To serve as an Ecclesiastical Endorsing agency, recognized by all branches of the Military, Veteran’s Affairs, prisons, hospitals and hospices, providing qualified Christian chaplains.
- To provide mentoring, leadership and training to IMF members as well as an approved biblical and theological curriculum for those serving without seminary training (who desire further low cost web-based study).
IMF is Christ-centered with an emphasis on the Person and Work of the Holy Spirit in the Church today. Our Ministry Center is located in the western suburbs of Minneapolis, MN with a staff of six full-time and seven part-time employees. Applicants must be in agreement with IMF’s Statement of Faith and other governance documents. Please see “IMF Organizational Polity Manual” on our website at http://i-m-f.org/~imf1/resources/see-all-downloads/category/17-membership-packet-documents.
The General Secretary will serve as a senior leader and a pastor over IMF, reporting to the General Overseer while working in unity with the Board of Directors to help meet the needs of IMF member ministers. The General Secretary will:
- Report to the General Overseer
- Share a commitment to live out the Great Commission as its foundation of ministry
- Serve the expressed needs of the members personally and through the staff and the programs of the organization
- Shepherd the spiritual well-being and growth of its ministers and faith community
- Accept primary responsibility and accountability for the scriptural integrity of all teaching, preaching, and communications of the organization
- Collaborate with the staff to develop programs, events and support services
- Oversee and manage the full range of operations of the headquarters and ministry, including the stewardship of both the financial and physical assets
- IMF offers a base salary with opportunity to increase salary/benefits through biannual review/bonus based on growth and retention of membership and increased revenue to support the ministry
- Master of Divinity degree or Master in Biblical Studies or related field from an accredited (ATS) seminary and ordination credentials from IMF or other nationally recognized certifying organization
- Minimum of 10 years of pastoral experience, including leadership responsibilities and supervision of staff
- Demonstrates personal alignment to the core beliefs of IMF (Evangelical, Spirit-filled) and full investment in the body
- Holds that the entire Bible is the infallible Word of God
- Evidence of being Jesus-focused, Holy Spirit-filled, Holy Spirit-led and demonstrates the gifts and fruit of the Spirit
- Responsible for the development and management of the annual budget of the ministry
- Psychometric surveys and background check
- Full-time employment with IMF and full-time resident in the greater Minneapolis area
- Some requirements may be negotiable.
Favorable Leadership Characteristics
The following suggested list of leadership characteristics (by no means exhaustive) have been suggested by the IMF Board of Directors members and staff:
- Servant leader
- Pastor’s heart
- Proven leader
- Successful marriage and family
- Spiritual gifts including mercy, helps and governance
- StrengthsFinder characteristics: Achiever, Harmony, Responsibility, Positivity, Developer
- Called to IMF ministry (serving pastors, churches and ministries)
While not all of these characteristics may be found in one person, they are leadership characteristics deemed to be desirable.
How to Apply
Apply by email to: GeneralSecretaryCall@i-m-f.org. Please note our email constraints: We are not able to accept zip files or attachments in excess of 10MB. Attach to the email in PDF or Word format:
- Cover letter expressing your interest in the position and describing your alignment with IMF’s vision and how your experience and skills match the position summary and qualifications
- Document of belief that addresses your alignment to IMF’s nine statements in our published Statement of Faith
- Written statement explaining your personal beliefs on the topics of scripture and the Holy Spirit’s work in the Church today
- Current resume
- Your financial requirements
- Professional references (at least five) that we may contact. Please include current and former ministry supervisors, direct reports, and a peer, identifying each relationship
All qualifying applications received will be considered. The position will remain open until we find the candidate that most closely matches our criteria.
Completed applications will be acknowledged by return email within one week of submission.
Questions may be emailed to: GeneralSecretaryCall@i-m-f.org. Please include your preferred contact information so we may respond to your questions in a timely manner.
More information on IMF
IMF offers a full variety of support services to those serving in churches, mission fields, evangelistic outreaches, military and civilian chaplaincy, and those who labor in workplace and para-church organizations. It is a Mission Sending Agency with 108 missionaries, and provides Ecclesiastical Endorsement to active military and civilian chaplains. IMF is a member of ECFA, NAE, NAECC, NCMAF and ECVAC.
IMF sees itself as a good team player in the Body of Christ. With approximately 1,300 members in 50 states and 36 foreign countries, it serves independent ministers both in denominational settings and independent churches and ministry organizations.
While most of our clergy members are seminary or Bible College graduates, we do not believe God limits His call only to those fortunate to have completed graduate theological studies. Other members have established a clear record of ministry experience while being trained in the local church or by theological education by extension. All of our ministers are encouraged to “study to show thyself approved unto God a workman that needeth not be ashamed, rightly handling the word of Truth” (2 Timothy 2:15, NIV). We believe this requires study and prayerful meditation on God’s written Word (the Holy Bible) as led by the Holy Spirit, in addition to extra-biblical educational courses, degree programs and life experiences available to the individual. All our members are encouraged to make biblical and extra-biblical study a lifetime process.
We also believe in the priesthood of all believers and that every believer is a witness. However, as an organization we provide many support services and opportunities for fellowship and continuing education and training. Moreover, we roster the following credentialed layworkers and clergy persons: Christian Worker, Lay Pastor, Licensed to Preach, Commissioned Minister, Special Ministry License, Licensed Minister, Ordained Minister and Associate Membership as appropriate to those we believe have a special call or gift to share with the Body of Christ (Ephesians 4:11) and who have evidenced through biblical and theological study, Christian ministry and life experience, appropriate qualifications for Christian ministry.
Our Membership and Rostering Review Board (MRRB) is careful to review each applicant’s qualifications and documentation to determine an appropriate response and membership. Our members are both professional clergy and layworkers. This is in no way meant to devalue or detract from the validity of the priesthood of all believers or our responsibility as a witness in Christ’s Church.
With many things happening in the religious world today, some Bible-believing ministers may feel disenfranchised. IMF is a safe place for those who desire to teach the Scriptures as led by the Holy Spirit while having accountability as professional Christian leaders. IMF requires accountability and is accountable, with a Board of Directors, including outside Board members representing academic and theological achievement, financial accountability, business leadership and social concern for the poor and those less fortunate than ourselves.
We are not a theological debating society, yet our Statement of Faith is clearly orthodox Christianity and our Core Values are clearly defined. We believe in a living and loving Lord and the power of the Holy Spirit to lead and guide Christ’s Church today.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Director of Youth, Family and Small Group MinistriesEagle River Presbyterian Church
- Avon, Colorado
- October 20
Christian Financial Radio/TV Co-HostPrivate Profile
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- October 19
Chief Financial Officer (CFO)Serge
- Jenkintown, Pennsylvania
- October 14
Executive Development Representative - HoustonThe Seed Company
- Houston, Texas
- October 12
Trinity School of Natural Health - COOVanderbloemen Search Group
- Warsaw, Indiana
- October 12
International Ministerial Fellowship
International Ministerial Fellowship (IMF) is an association of churches, clergy, chaplains, missionaries and para-church organizational leaders, with 1,300 members in the United States and 36 foreign countries. It was organized in 1958 and re-chartered as a Minnesota corporation in 1985. Its mission is to glorify Christ, make Christ known, and to be used as a support team to those called to Christian service. More...