ABWE is an unaffiliated, independent Baptist missions agency providing like-minded churches with vital services to expedite their Great Commission Ministry.
Job Summary: The role as Medical Assistant / Administrative Assistant is two-fold. First, the Medical Assistant / Administrative Assistant provides administrative support to the International Healthcare Ministry (IHM) team.
Second, as an integral part of the missionary medical team, the Medical Assistant / Administrative Assistant provides clinical support for missionary healthcare, short-term mission teams, and IHM mobilization efforts.
This is a part-time (minimum of 24 hours) or full-time (40 hours) position located at ABWE Headquarters in Harrisburg, PA. Typical work schedule is Monday through Friday, 8:30AM – 5:00PM.
The ideal candidate will have an excellent administrative skill-set, strong computer skills including intermediate knowledge of MS Office Suite, experience as a CMA (or similar) and knowledge of basic clinical procedures and medical terminology. This individual
will also view their role as a ministry to the Lord, ABWE guests, missionaries, and staff. A high school diploma or GED and a CMA certification (or similar) is required. It is also required that the individual have at least one or two years of experience as
a Certified Medical Assistant (or similar) and a Basic Life Support (BLS) certification.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• 20% - Assists the IHM staff in planning, publicizing and organizing short-term team trips, including receiving inquiries for participation and directing persons to the appropriate application process, reviewing applications and arranging for short-term
trip insurance in-house.
• 15% - Maintains relevant healthcare files for all missionaries, including uploading information into the electronic medical record.
• 15% - Assists the Director of IHM in planning for events including coordinating and/or completing registration for mobilization conferences and internal IHM events, coordinating the agenda for team meetings, reserving conference rooms, meals, IT needs,
and taking minutes, shipping mobilization supplies to team members as needed.
• 15% - Serves as the first point of telephone contact for ABWE missionaries and appointees with healthcare questions and outside inquires to IHM regarding possible service opportunities for ministry. Answers and triages these calls and emails appropriately
under the direction of the Missionary Healthcare Providers.
• 15% - Completes a variety of clinical-related tasks including assisting with exams, taking vital signs, completing referrals and calling in prescriptions at the direction of the Missionary Healthcare providers.
• 10% - Maintains appropriate information about short-term trips and ministry needs on the IHM website.
• 5% - Maintains equipment and supplies in the exam rooms using appropriate infection control practices.
• 5% - Designs and coordinates project/fundraising newsletters.
• Performs other duties or special projects as required or as assigned.
Education: Must have high school diploma or GED, and:
• CMA (AAMA or AMT) (from an accredited medical assisting program and certified by the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA) OR Registered as a Medical Assistant by the American Medical Technologists (AMT) (preferred) OR SIMILAR
Minimum Prior Experience Required: At least one to two years of experience in Medical Office (preferred) or Licensed field.
Certification/Licensure Required: Basic Life Support (BLS)
• Joy-filled faith rooted in Jesus Christ and heart to serve.
• Strong relational, communication, and customer service skills.
• Computer skills including intermediate knowledge of MS Word, email use, ability to scan electronic documents into EMR. Ability to learn MS Excel, Outlook and PPT
• Able to maintain information and documents that are highly confidential in nature in accordance with all HIPPA standards.
• Detail-oriented and organized. Exhibits great time management.
• Takes initiative and anticipates needs.
• Able to work alone or in a team environment.
• Exhibits sound judgment.
ABWE is a Christian organization, and it is necessary that employees possess and maintain a lifestyle that is above reproach.
All ABWE employees must:
1. Be a Christian and have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
2. Be a current and active member and/or regular attendee of a like-minded local church that aligns doctrinally with ABWE.
3. Be able to fully support ABWE's mission, vision, core values, doctrinal statement, and ministry philosophy.
Physical Demands and Work Environment: The physical demands are minimal and typical of similar jobs in comparable organizations, including long periods of time sitting at a desk. The work environment is representative and typical of similar
jobs in comparable organizations. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit for long periods of time and stand for up to 30 minutes at a time while assisting healthcare providers; talk and hear; perform fine motor,
hand and finger skills in the use of a keyboard, telephone, writing, using a stethoscope. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; and reach with arms and/or hands. Specific vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, depth perception
and the ability to adjust focus. The employee will spend their time in an office environment with a moderate to high noise level. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.