The Director is charged with helping fulfill First UMC’s Vision to help people Connect, Grow, Serve, and Lead in the name of Jesus Christ. The Director is particularly responsible for equipping and encouraging the congregation of First UMC Shreveport to
grow in their knowledge and intimacy with God. The position has several foci: Adult Education; Discipleship Development; and Lay Ministry. The Director will develop, equip and encourage teams of volunteers to nurture and grow deeply committed followers of
- Deeply committed follower of Jesus Christ resolved to model a godly lifestyle.
- A passion to facilitate spiritual growth
- Flexible, dedicated, dependable, energetic and highly motivated personality
- A good team player
- Capable of effective, relevant communication with volunteers and staff
- Solid Biblical knowledge consistent with United Methodist theology and practice
- Able to manage other staff
- Bachelor’s degree
- Graduate degree in theology or pastoral ministry, or certification in Christian Education preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years in fruitful ministry growing disciples.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Adult Education
- Develop and nurture opportunities for adults to grow in their knowledge of Christ and the Kingdom of God through SS, Study Groups, and special events.
- Discipleship Development
- Hone and champion the Discipleship Development model as an intentional life-long journey.
- Work with all the program areas of the church to help them grow disciples.
- Develop practical tools to help people take their next steps in following Christ, including use of internet and print materials.
- Lay Ministry
- Help create an atmosphere of servant leadership within the church.
- Connect people’s gifts and interests with ministry opportunities in the church.
- Work closely with the Stewardship Team to connect people in ministry.
- Build, encourage & equip staff & volunteer teams to effectively grow disciples.
- Work with the 1Vision Team to celebrate, evaluate, retool, and strategically plan ministry.
- Attend Staff meetings to integrate discipleship into the whole of FUMC’s ministry.
- Present an annual budget and work within the budget set by the Church Council.