POSITION: Assistant Manager - Part time
DEPARTMENT: Community Threads, a Christian nonprofit thrift store
STATUS: Non-exempt and hourly
REPORTS TO: Director
Working under general supervision, provide overall supervision for the effective and profitable operation of the Community Threads Christian thrift store. Responsible for the overall operations of the store, including supervision of volunteers, store presentation,
merchandising and inventory rotation, customer service, store sales, and store administration. A hands-on position that trains and supervises volunteers, ensure a safe and healthy work environment, and models Christian servant leadership. Work independently
on routine to complex functions.
- Contribute to Community Threads overall mission in a God-honoring manner in accordance with Biblical standards.
- Commit to the Matthew 18 relational conflict resolution process in all relationships.
- Commit to “believe and speak the best” about the store, affiliate ministries and co-workers. Proverbs 31:26 teaches us to “open our mouths with wisdom and have kindness on our tongues.”
- Fulfill all the requirements of the Community Threads Employee Handbook and ensure staff and volunteers are in compliance.
- Agree and comply with Community Threads' Statement of Faith and Code of Conduct, as set forth in its organization and personnel materials.
Manage and Develop Volunteers
- Foster a positive workplace and team environment through open and positive communication. Colossians 3:17 – “whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord.”
- Motivate and inspire store associates and volunteers while providing leadership through modeling appropriate behavior.
- Participate in regular Leadership Team meetings, engaging in strategic event planning, communicating relevant events to store associates and volunteers and ensure decisions are carried out.
- Identify training needs according to observation and feedback and alert the Director of the need for creating or revising written training materials and procedures manual as needed.
Store Presentation & Merchandising
- Ensure a clean and organized store by coordinating activities with other managers and volunteers on store maintenance and supervising the volunteers on store stocking procedures.
- Ensure stock is rotated regularly and merchandise is organized and displayed to maximize sales and create a welcoming atmosphere.
- Operate the store in such a way as to maximize sales and keep the sales floor fully stocked with seasonal merchandise, as in Proverbs 31:18 – “she perceives that her merchandise is good . . .”
- Ensure consistent and quality sorting, tagging and pricing of donations.
Store Sales & Profitability
- Think of creative ways to maximize sales and ensure that store is achieving its sales target set by the Director. Present verbal report at 1:1 meetings with the Director and at the Leadership Team meetings, and in writing as requested.
- Maintain the compliance of cash handling procedures and standards to record, balance, and deposit daily sales. Report and document any variances in cash.
- Alert Director about the need to order office supplies and maintain appropriate supply levels.
- Set an example in customer service for volunteers, welcoming and responding to customers in a courteous and helpful manner by creating a non-judgmental and supportive environment for Community Threads referral clients and customers
- Ensure customer concerns are addressed in a timely and professional manner.
Health, Safety, and Security
- Ensure and maintain a safe working environment for patrons and employees in the store by reporting safety concerns to the Director. In the case of an incident, complete an incident report within 24 hours.
- Ensure the store premises are secured at closing time on a daily basis, exiting people in all areas of building, including the restroom, and locking all outside doors.
- Ensure donations and garbage left outside of the store premises are picked up by volunteer staff on a daily basis.
- Follower of Jesus Christ, as exemplified through demonstrated commitment to applying Biblical leadership and accountability principles.
- Demonstrated effective management ability.
- Ability to effectively plan ahead and demonstrated time management abilities.
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal, team-building, coaching and supervisory skills.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, motivate and supervise volunteers.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks and manage time effectively under the pressure of time constraints.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills.
**The above is intended to describe the general content and requirements of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.
Community Threads Mission Statement:
Community Threads is a Christian organization dedicated to serving God through operating a thrift store and other ministry programs, primarily through volunteers, in order to help alleviate poverty, to provide job training to those in need, and to coordinate
the provision of grants to support other ministries and charitable needs.