Director, Brand Development
Work with EVP/Publisher to set annual brand strategies and create seasonal portfolio plans for The Willamette Group, meeting revenue goals. Oversee product development all the way from idea to final product. Work with editorial team to ensure highest standards
and quality. Work with marketing team to develop consumer-driven campaigns and with highly-effective ROI. Build relationships both within the group and with agents, authors, and other trade partners.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Work with EVP/Publisher to create portfolio plan for each season ensuring revenue goals are met. Meet with EVP/Publisher and President quarterly to review portfolio plan and make adjustments accordingly.
- Watch product trends and conduct consumer research to identify and brainstorm potential product ideas that serve consumer demand and drive long-term growth of the brand(s). Translate insights into profitable product innovations with sales and marketing
hooks strong enough to support the product in retail.
- Initiate market research to identify opportunities for increased sales; reviews analysis of marketing research on current and new marketing concepts in order to recommend future development.
- Work with EVP/Publisher on setting budgets for advances, marketing and promotion, editorial and acquisitions, etc.
- Work with sales team to serve market channels, to get feedback on sales potential, and to secure appropriate product placements.
- Align the group around the brand’s direction, choices, and strategies.
- Work with EVP/Publisher to set goals for group acquisitions editors. Provide ideas and direction within consumer research, demand, and product trends.
- Acquisition new authors for the group. Create book concepts and proposals and present prospective authors and their proposals to group.
- Oversee high-level acquisitions.
- Work with the group to assess viability of new and proposed projects as well as repurposing of existing content.
- Lead group to create cohesive publishing effort for each title acquired, ensuring highest quality and standards for content and design based on audience, sales history, and consumer trends.
- Author and agent communication as needed.
- Project manage high-profile projects as needed.
- Work with the EVP/Publisher and marketing team in setting strategy and executing outstanding marketing plans that nurture consumer relationships and ultimately compel consumers to purchase Harvest House Products.
- Monitor marketing trends and watch competitive products in the marketplace.
- Track consumer and market insights by reviewing metrics including sales volume, market share, sales projections, pricing and retail placements.
- Lead marketing overview meetings on key products to set goals for the marketing team, identify consumer groups, develop campaign hooks, etc.
- Serve as a dynamic consumer advocate and create marketing strategies with the marketing mission to identify, understand, engage, and motivate consumers.
- Builds measurements into the marketing planning process and evaluates successes in a timely manner.
- Ensures communication of marketing strategy and plan clearly in writing to author and agent, sales, etc.
- Work with marketing team to nurture consumer relationships through corporate direct- to-consumer initiative.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
- Well-developed product development, marketing, and management skills and experience
- Proven ability to turn strategic plans into tactical execution
- Experience in marketing, including research, promotion, merchandising and packaging
- Knowledge on the editorial process including acquisitioning authors, reviewing manuscripts and proposals, etc.
- Ability to evaluate market trends and consumer bases and identify product opportunities
- Ability to drive both short- and long-term brand growth for profitability. Resourceful at achieving goals and results despite obstacles or challenges
- Ability to problem-solve identifying core issues and developing a plan of action to resolve them
- Flexibility in adapting well to rapidly changing environments and capitalizing on opportunities
- Excellent organization, verbal, writing, and presentation skills
- Demonstrate innovation and ability to think strategically
- Ability to establish, cultivate, and maintain strong interpersonal relationships
- Strong analytical skills, business savvy, and the ability to multitask across disciplines
- Able to work in a stimulating environment that includes: teamwork and interaction with Harvest House employees in various departments, authors, agents, publishing partners, and sales accounts
- Manage and develop group personnel to foster an environment that encourages excellence and employees to thrive
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Business, or related field required
- Minimum five years progressive Marketing experience required
- Five years’ experience in Publishing Industry, preferred
- Experience managing a team of professionals
- Integrity and discernment
- Commitment to the mission of Harvest House and its core values
- Passionate desire to create and market Christian products
JOB LOCATION AND EQUIPMENT UTILIZED:
Located in Eugene, OR and relocation to Eugene, OR is required. General office environment. .Standard office equipment used with a significant time spent using a computer.