Meritus Medical Center is a regional medical center serving approximately 400,000 people in Maryland, West Virginia and Pennsylvania and is recruiting for a
Director of the Department of Spiritual Care Services position in Hagerstown, MD.
The Director of the Department of Spiritual Care Services oversees and ensures the provision of spiritual care to patients, their loved ones, and, as appropriate, to staff. Director oversees and ensures provision of clinical pastoral education and other
spiritual care training as appropriate for the organization. Director communicates and provides liaison with the religious community/area clergy and houses of worship. Director administers the department and participates in the organization's management
structure. "Spiritual care" implies and involves the spiritual dimension in wellness and in maintaining that wellness in the face of illness, disability and/or death itself, and collaborates with other members of the multidisciplinary team to offer care to
pediatric, adolescent, adult, and geriatric patients, loved ones, and staff with care and attention to religious and cultural diversity.
- Education - Masters of Divinity or equivalent; 4 units of Clinical Pastoral Education or equivalent. CPE Supervisory training preferred.
- Experience - At least five (5) years of pastoral experience in a hospital setting following ordination. Prefer experience in administration/management in institutional setting.
- Licensure/Certification - Must be certified by and in good standing with the Association of Professional Chaplains (APC), The National Association of Catholic Chaplains (NACC), the National Association of Jewish Chaplains (NAJC) or College of Pastoral Supervision
and Psychotherapy. This certification will include a master's level theological degree or equivalent, clinical training in chaplaincy, ordination or commissioning for ministry by a recognized religious group, a current endorsement for chaplaincy by a recognized
religious group, and appearance before a national certifying body for assessment of competency
- Knowledge/Skills/Abilities –
- Social Perceptiveness
- Active Listening, Speaking
- Critical Thinking
- Reading Comprehension, Writing, Instructing, Judgment and Decision
- Time Management
- Management of Persons
- Complex Problem Solving
- Pastoral Care Theory