SUM Bible College and Theological Seminary (SUM) is a private, coeducational,
Bible college that equips indigenous leaders from America’s urban communities by
offering an affordable theological education combining academic instruction with practical hands on ministry. All SUM faculty and staff members are expected to be committed to Jesus Christ, to SUM’s vision, purpose and values and to affirm the SUM’s Statement
of Faith, all of which can be found on the SUM’s website at www.sum.edu
Summary: The main responsibility of the Graphic Designer is to design and produce quality visual solutions that best represent and communicate the mission and vision of SUM. Each work of the graphic designer is to be executed in line with
the communication and marketing needs of SUM.
Reports to: Director of Marketing and Recruitment
Duties and Responsibilities
- Keeps track of events, (monthly, annual, Special events etc.), and coordinates with immediate supervisor concerning possible graphic design related projects that need to be produced in relation with a specific event.
- Work in collaboration with the different departments involved in a given project.
- Gathers accurate information and materials for each project he/she embarks in.
- Plans and recommends design concepts for all assigned projects, i.e., brochures, newsletters, website page design and other SUM documents, based on gathered information and material.
- Obtains approval of concept by submitting a rough layout for approval. The rough layout should specify size, style and other aesthetic concepts incorporated in a given project.
- Implements approved plan.
- Prepares finished copy and art by operating typesetting, printing, and similar equipment; purchasing from vendors.
- Prepares final layout by marking and pasting up finished copy and art.
- Completes projects by coordinating with outside agencies, art services, printers, etc.
- Maintains technical knowledge by attending design workshops; reviewing professional publications; participating in professional societies.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Perform other tasks as directed from time to time.
Job Requirements (KSA’s, knowledge, skills, and abilities)
- Knowledge of design elements i.e., color and composition
- Skilled in graphic design and the use of graphic design software i.e., photo-shop etc.
- Ability to work under pressure and to meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to effectively present ideas (verbally and visually).
- Ability to resolve issues (i.e., choice of color, lines, font etc.) relevant to graphic design
- Knowledge of material costs and approximate time limits for a given project.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to handle rejection with grace.
- Ability to be flexible and flow with changes.
- Ability to work with people from different backgrounds.
- Ability to work with a team.