Social Studies (6th Grade History)
It is the primary responsibility of the teacher to provide classroom instruction to the students of The King’s Academy, as well as being a positive role model to them. Teachers should view their role as ministry, helping each student towards
reaching their full potential in Christ.
This Social Studies Teacher position is full time. It requires teaching 5 classes. The subject taught by this particular position is 6th Grade Ancient World History.
In addition to teaching responsibilities, this position includes managing the 6th grade storage shed.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Planning and Teaching
- Develops a curriculum map where learning objectives are aligned with California State Standards and the school’s Expected Student Learning Results.
- Prepares and presents lessons to students on daily basis.
- Uses a variety of teaching methodologies to create an engaging and safe classroom setting where all students are held to high expectations.
- Keeps an accurate record of all attendance and tardies for each student.
- Maintains discipline in the classroom to ensure maximum learning.
- Provides an uncluttered, healthy, and neat classroom that promotes a good learning and working environment.
- Keeps an emergency lesson plan and current substitute folder in case of an unexpected absence.
- Actively works with the rest of the Social Studies Department to improve instruction in assigned subjects, and coordination across subjects.
2. Assignments & Grading
- Grades all assignments, tests, quizzes, papers, and projects in a timely manner, using the grading scale provided by the school.
- Returns student work in a timely manner with constructive feedback.
- Keeps an accurate record of all grades for each student, submitting them to the Registrar on time.
- Records the day’s or week’s homework on the school portal for access by students and parents.
- Communicates with parents on an “as needed” basis regarding their student’s academic or behavioral status in the class.
- Checks emails daily, at a minimum.
- Returns phone calls and emails within 24 hours.
- Keeps an accurate record of all communications with parents.
- Advises the Department Lead as soon as plans to be away from the classroom are being considered.
- Communicates regularly with other teachers, especially other 6th Grade teachers.
4. Meetings and Events
- Attends Grade Level and Department meetings, as scheduled.
- Leads a daily student homegroup.
- Coordinates field trips and special events, as needed.
- Attends the Staff Retreat every year, as scheduled by the Administration.
- Meets with parents as needed.
- Performs any other duties that may be assigned.
- Attends one student retreat every year.
- During service trip week, either (1) participates in a service trip, or (2) participates in the East Coast Trip, or (3) teaches.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Social Studies or related field
- Teaching credential is preferred
- Training or experience in education is preferred
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent skills in communicating both orally and in written form
- Ability to incorporate best practices in education, including effective use of technology
- Commitment to serving Jesus Christ
- Ability to show concern for students’ spiritual and emotional growth
- Energetic, flexible, resourceful
- Leadership and mentoring skills
- Able to spend time with (outside of the classroom), nurture and relate to students
- Ability to keep information confidential
This position requires that the employee work from Monday – Friday and weekends when necessary.
Vision abilities required by this job include close vision. The employee might occasionally be required to lift up to 25 lbs. of weight.
The King’s Academy offers excellent benefits to employees and family. Please check our website for more information at www.tkabenefits.com.