Physics/Honors Teacher (HS)
Science Department Lead
It is the primary responsibility of the teacher to provide classroom instruction to the students of The King’s Academy, as well as being a positive role model to them. Teachers should view their role as ministry, helping each student towards
reaching their full potential in Christ.
The Physics & Honors Physics courses at TKA are designed to prepare students for college level physics and engineering courses.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Planning and Teaching
- Develops a curriculum map for each course taught where learning objectives are aligned with California State Standards and the school’s Expected Student Learning Results
- Prepares detailed lesson plans
- Uses a variety of teaching methodologies to create an engaging and safe classroom setting where all students are held to high expectations
- Provides relevant and engaging laboratory exercises to enhance the learning experience
- Ensures that the course content continues to meet the University of California approved curriculum
- Maintains and repairs lab equipment as needed and works with the Department Lead as part of the budget process to identify new lab equipment to improve the course.
- Incorporates technology in a meaningful way to enhance instruction and learning
- Grades all assignments, tests, quizzes, lab exercises, and projects in a timely manner, using the grading scale provided by the school.
- Keeps an accurate record of all grades for each student, submitting them to the Registrar on time
- Records the day’s or week’s homework on the school portal for access by students and parents.
3. Classroom Management
- Keeps an accurate record of all attendance and tardies for each student.
- Maintains discipline in the classroom to ensure maximum learning.
- Provides an uncluttered, healthy, and neat classroom that promotes a good learning and working environment.
- Always keeps an emergency lesson plan and current substitute folder in case of an unexpected absence.
- Communicates with parents on an “as needed” basis regarding their student’s academic or behavioral status in the class.
- Checks voice messages and emails daily, at a minimum.
- Returns phone calls and emails within 24 hours.
- Keeps an accurate record of all communications with parents.
- Advises the Department Lead as soon as plans to be away from the classroom are being considered.
- Writes college letters of recommendation if requested by students
5. Meetings and Events
- Attends Grade Level and Department meetings, as scheduled.
- Leads a daily student homegroup.
- Coordinates field trips and special events, as needed.
- Attends the Staff and students’ Retreat every year, as scheduled by the Administration.
- Performs any other duties that may be assigned
6. Unplanned Activities
Some examples are:
- Tutoring in the Student Support Services, if assigned
- Sponsoring a student-lead club (ex: Physics Club, Robotics Club, Rocket Club)
- Advisor to National Honor Society, or as a member of the AP selection committee
Education and Experience:
- At least a Bachelor’s degree in Physics, Chemistry, Engineering or related field
- 3 - 5 years of teaching experience at HS level, or
- Experience in industry in a related field (3 – 5 years)
Specialized Knowledge in:
- Engineering Physics & Mathematics (undergraduate college level)
- Chemistry & Physics laboratory techniques
Skills and Abilities:
- Broad knowledge and experience in: Teaching Physics
- Above average skills in: Planning Lessons
- Excellent skills in: Communicating both orally and in written form
- Demonstrated ability in: incorporating best practices in education, including effective use of technology
- Proficient in: Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel) & computer graphing tools
- Ability to work as a team with other science teachers, share equipment, etc.
Other characteristics such as personal characteristics
- Commitment to serving Jesus Christ
- Ability to work under pressure and in a fast paced environment
- Ability to keep confidential information
- Energetic, flexible, resourceful
- Leadership and mentoring skills
- Able to understand, love and relate to Students
This position requires that the employee work from Monday – Friday and weekends when necessary.
The King’s Academy offers excellent benefits to employees and family. Please check our website for more information at www.tkabenefits.com.