The Over-Night and Weekend Residential Counselor position will oversee the evening/over-night/weekend operations of Freedom House’s transitional housing program residents. We are in need of an Over-Night and Weekend On-Call Shelter Staff member, also On-Call
which may be on short notice. Hours could be in the evening, weekend and holidays.
This position must maintain the security and confidentiality needed for this type of specialized program. The Residential Counselor member must be available to intervene in conflict or crisis situations and is responsible for maintaining documentation,
ensuring the smooth operation of the shelter during the assigned hours. The Residential Counselor will work with other staff and volunteers to create a supportive community, helping to meet the needs of each resident.
RESPONSIBILITES include, but are not limited to:
Direct Services Support:
Resident Concerns: Respond to residents’ questions and needs. Facilitate the communication of client needs to shelter supervisor as well as keep a nightly log of activities. Participate in house meetings, weekly conference calls or shelter staff
meetings. Assist in the pick-up and transportation of clients in personal vehicle.
Crisis and Conflict Resolution: Assess and respond to resident crises or conflicts. Independently assess the need for external assistance, such as contacting any on-call staff. Manage conflicts as they occur, document conflicts, and monitor
Safety and Security: Assess and manage emergencies according to Freedom House’s emergency protocol. Identify appropriate responses to emergency protocol triggers. Identify when external assistance is needed and contact appropriate party
(i.e. supervisor, law enforcement, medical assistance, etc.). Monitor the safety and security of the house, including the operation of the alarm system. Participate in the ongoing development of shelter safety and emergency protocols.
Administrative Services Support:
Administrative Services: Assist day shelter staff with various administrative tasks, as needed. Administrative tasks may include filing, shredding and preparing packets of Freedom House materials. Assist in resource research assignments.
Assist in other special projects, as needed.
- Must be calm, supportive, mature, and understand how to work with residents in a shelter home
- Have a deep commitment to the empowerment of shelter residents
- Ability to work both independently
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Knowledge of and experience in supportive or peer counseling, crisis intervention, and conflict resolution techniques a plus. Ability and willingness to intervene in and resolve resident disputes. Appreciation of sensitive confidentiality issues with
demonstrated commitment to resident-centered practices.
- Ability to maintain a positive, cooperative, and professional attitude at home and in interactions with other volunteers, staff, and residents.
- May be required to be available on short notice
- Candidates must have own car, proof of current auto insurance and provide a valid California driver’s license
Other organizational requirements require a successful background check, including finger-printing, an annual TB screen, and the ability to meet physical requirements of the position.
To apply: Send resume, references and a letter of interest to email@example.com