The US Embassy of Belize has provided PathLight International's Teacher Training Program with a grant entitled “Innovative Training for Secondary Teachers in Belize: Providing Educational Methods to actively engage students in the classroom and in Extra-Curricular
Activities,” with the overall goal being to “significantly increase the effectiveness of Secondary school teachers in the Cayo District of Belize to support the creation of safe streets for citizens in Belize by helping reduce school dropout, drug use, and
violence rates among at-risk youth.”
PathLight is searching for an Associate Director, High School Teacher Trainer to build and equip High school teachers in Belize so that they, in turn, can touch the lives and hearts of the youth they teach. We at PathLight believe education can help address
the country’s needs. Our aim, however, is not only to promote academic learning. Recognizing that each student has a spiritual side and believing in the tremendous power of faith in God, we hope to promote spiritual learning as well. Thus our Teacher Training
Program always includes spiritual elements in addition to academic instruction as part of PathLight’s mission of bringing “hope through faith and learning”.
The Associate Director High School Teacher Training, will be responsible for ensuring the implementation of the educational activities described within the grant application which includes organizing and leading High School teacher training workshops in
educational best practices, equipping High School teachers to lead extra-curricular activities for their students, and enabling High School teachers to plan and lead student fieldtrips which enhance classroom education.
This position requires relocation to Belmopan, Belize for a minimum commitment through August 2017.
Belize and PathLight Overview
As a low socioeconomic country with few resources, Belize struggles to educate its people, especially the at-risk population isolated in rural villages. According to the CIA World Fact Book, approximately 23% of Belize citizens over the age of 15 still
cannot read and write. Part of the problem is a lack of trained teachers. In the rural primary schools it is not unusual for many of the teachers to have no formal training as educators. At PathLight (Pathlight.org) we believe that many of these social
issues could be resolved if every child received a solid education and developed a faith in God. Working in tandem, all three of our integrated programs (Sponsorship+, Teacher Training and Volunteer Service Teams) help ensure young people in rural Belize
have a real chance at success in breaking the intergenerational cycle of poverty. Our goal is to help each student, teacher and local community to reach their God-given potential.
Associate Director, High School Teacher Training
Reports to: Director of Teacher Training Programs
Teacher Training Program
The goal of the Teacher Training Program is to develop and equip the teachers of Belize, so that they, in turn, can edify the minds and hearts of the children they teach.
Start Date: January 2016 or sooner
Commitment Length: Minimum commitment through August 2017.
- Mature Christian with home church.
- Secondary Teaching Certification
- Minimum Bachelors degree, Masters or above preferred.
- Minimum five (5) years High School teaching experience, greater than 10 preferred.
- Experience leading educator’s workshop(s).
- Managed extra-curricular activities for High School students.
- Self motivated.
- International travel, cross cultural teaching experience preferred.
- Belize is English-speaking, no other language requirements.
- Facilitate quarterly professional development workshops at Belmopan Comprehensive High School (Compre) for teachers.
- Provide ongoing mentoring and support to Compre teachers to ensure an increase in “best practices” instruction.
- Support Cayo District High School teachers Cayo as requested throughout the school year and provide appropriate follow-up support.
- Train Compre teachers to lead after school/extra-curricular activities.
- Ensure the implementation of quarterly and summer field-trips for Compre students.
- Assist with bi-annual teacher exchanges.
- Support the organization and facilitation of Pathlight’s annual Teacher Training Conferences.
- Establish and maintain resources for High School teachers at PathLight’s Teacher Education Center.
- Assist with quarterly performance reviews to the US Embassy in Belize, including program evaluation surveys of students and teachers.
- Maintain clear budget records to support quarterly reports of grant funding.
- Support the Teacher-to-Teacher (T2T) program by encouraging teacher participation and posting appropriate materials on the FB group page.
- Provide support to PathLight’s Sponsorship+ and Volunteer Teams programs as needed and as appropriate.
- Offer spiritual guidance and encouragement to all members of the PathLight team, teachers, and administrators that you work with.
We place a high value on personal relationships, realizing that is where God does his greatest work. You will be expected to develop healthy, caring relationships not only with the teachers, students, administrators, and parents that we serve directly,
but also with fellow staff members, volunteers, donors and others.
Communication and Initiative
With offices based in two countries, clear and consistent communication is critical. For the US office, you will be part of the team providing the “eyes and ears” for what is happening in Belize. You will be expected to be timely in response to emails,
and may be asked to participate in phone calls, internet chats, as well as “in person” meetings in the US and in Belize. Since you will have remote supervision much of the time, you are expected to take the initiative to identify and make the best use of
$30,000 p/year plus benefits, and opportunity to fundraise. The grant provides for a salary sufficient for living in Belize as well as basic medical insurance, office set-up, and travel to/from the US. The Associate Director, High School Teacher Training
may fundraise to cover additional expenses, such as the automobile purchase and maintenance.
Please contact Christine Lawton, PhD. Director, PathLight Teacher Programs at email@example.com. You may e-mail with questions and/or attach your resume and cover letter.