Job Title: Chef’s Assistant/Prep Cook
Location: ABWE Headquarters, New Cumberland, PA
Job Type: Part-Time, Hourly, Non-Exempt
Supervisory Responsibility: None
Mission/Vision: To make disciples among every people group on earth by sharing the story of hope we have in Jesus Christ, building communities of faith and serving the world with love.
Job Summary/Primary Role: The Chef’s Assistant will work under the supervision of the ABWE Chef and will assist in kitchen preparation for events (breakfast pastries, simple desserts, salads, salad dressings, soups, etc.), buffet set up, event set up, receiving of inventory, event clean-up and teardown. The Chef’s Assistant will also help to coordinate volunteer recruitment/volunteer scheduling and will assist the Chef in giving direction to kitchen volunteers.
This position is part-time and includes healthcare benefits. Hours vary depending on events but average at about 30 hours per week with some months slower than others (August, December, and January). Typical work hours are Monday through Friday 8:30AM – 5:00PM with few nights and weekends. This position starts at $12 per hour.
The ideal candidate has a passion for cooking and a desire to serve others, a “clean as you go” mentality, and 1-2 years of related experience.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Working under the supervision of the ABWE Chef to assist in kitchen and food preparation.
• Receiving food and product orders, recording supply use, aiding in re-ordering of supplies and maintaining inventory.
• Assisting in the recruitment, scheduling, and supervision of kitchen volunteers and interns.
• Assisting with event set-up and teardown of events.
• Cleaning and preparing cooking station and insuring the sanitary conditions and operating order of kitchen appliances, equipment, food storage areas and the kitchen itself.
Education: High School Diploma required.
Minimum Prior Experience Required: At least 1-2 years of related experience.
• Must view food service as a ministry to ABWE guests, missionaries, and staff.
• Strong cooking skills including a working knowledge of culinary preparation: knife skills, mixing, baking, proper handling of hot and cold food items, and sanitation.
• Able to follow recipes and convert recipes.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
• Joy-filled faith rooted in Jesus Christ.
• A passion to serve.
• Strong relational and communication skills.
• Energetic and deadline-oriented.
• Displays flexibility and adaptability.
• Able to work alone or in a team environment.
• Able to work with minimal supervision.
• Exhibits sound judgment.
• Willingness to occasionally work outside of normal business hours and work over-time.
As an employee of ABWE you are an important member of a Christian organization. All staff members are Christian missionaries and are required to participate in chapel services. Because of the nature of our ministry it is absolutely necessary that you possess and maintain a lifestyle that is above reproach.
All ABWE employees must:
1. Be a current and active member and/or regular attendee of a like-minded local church that aligns doctrinally with ABWE.
2. Be able to fully support ABWE's mission, vision, core values, doctrinal statement, and ministry philosophy.
3. Be a participant in morning staff prayer time.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to lift and carry up to 50lbs; stand and walk for extended periods of time; climb and balance on a step stool/ladder; stoop, kneel, and crouch; sustain repetitive arm and hand motion; work under a variety of conditions and temperatures, wet and dry, for extended periods of time; work safely around kitchen machinery and sharp knives.
Updated: September 2015
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS: In order to be considered for this position, do not apply through this website. Please send the following items to email@example.com. In the subject line of the email, include your name and the position.
• Resume and cover letter
• One-page testimony including the name of your local church
• Salary requirements
Visit www.abwe.org/jobs for more information.
ABOUT ABWE: ABWE was founded in 1927 as a ministry dedicated to fulfilling the command of Christ by sending out missionaries to take the good news of salvation to the ends of the earth.
Dr. Raphael Thomas, a graduate of Harvard Medical College, heard D.L. Moody challenge students to obey the command of Christ to take the gospel to every ethnic group. He committed his life to that cause and became ABWE’s first missionary.
Through the years, ABWE has partnered with more than 4,000 like-minded, baptistic churches to serve 1,000 missionaries serving in more than 60 countries around the world. Our International Administration and Training Center located near Harrisburg, PA employs close to 100 full-time and part-time staff members.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Cafe WorkerCRISTA Ministries
- Seattle, Washington
- October 14
Lead Food Service SpecialistCityteam
- Felton, California
- October 10
Overseas Western Chef & Dinning Facility EducatorAcademics In Asia
- China, China
- October 6
- Seattle, Washington
- October 4
Food Service DirectorCamp Eagle, Inc.
- Glorieta, New Mexico
- August 5
Association of Baptists for World Evangelism (www.abwe.org) -
ABWE is an unaffiliated, independent Baptist missions agency providing like-minded churches with vital services to expedite their Great Commission Ministry. We serve local churches by providing administrative oversight and training for the missionaries that they recommend to us. This includes member care, financial coordination, team building, professional training and general administration.