This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Scientific Technology & Language Institute
Bishkek or Dushanbe, , Kyrgyzstan
Date Posted: 10/06/2005
Job Type: Full-Time
SCIENTIFIC TECHNOLOGY AND LANGUAGE INSTITUTE
P.O Box 1607
Cypress, California 90630
Telephone: (714) 761-1210
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Web: www.stli.org
Job Description: Field Director
A. JOB TITLE: Field Director - (Country / Field of Operations)
B. GENERAL FUNCTION
The Field Director (FD) is the formal leader of all aspects of the STLI work being undertaken within a defined field or country of operation. The FD is the executive officer of a Field Executive Committee (FEC), which implements locally initiated programs and provides local leadership in a cross-cultural setting. He/she facilitates the work of the STLI team and presides over and acts in the name of the FEC, representing it to the STLI Board of Directors (BD), Participating Organizations (PO's), and government and non-governmental organizations within the defined area of responsibility.
BD appoints the FD for a three-year renewable term, on the recommendation and/or concurrence of the Field Executive Committee, the executive committee consisting of Associates within the field of operations.
The FD serves at the BD's direction, with ultimate accountability to it through the Executive Director (ED), to the President of the Board. The international office of STLI is currently located in Cypress, California, USA.
C. SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITY AREAS
1. Explore the needs and opportunities for STLI to work in partnership within the defined area of operation. This includes understanding the needs of the country, the vision and interests of current and potential Participating Organizations (PO's), and the goals, attitude, and accomplishments of other Non-government Organizations (NGO's) doing similar or overlapping work within the defined area of operations.
2. Make specific recommendations to the BD through the ED pertaining to new countries, new or additional areas of focus, or expansion beyond the established geographic scope of operations.
3. Provide cross-cultural leadership to Associates enlisted to work within the authorized areas of operations and responsibility. A Field Executive Committee (FEC), consisting of elected and appointed Associate leadership approves and manages the programs of the local STLI organization. The FD leads the FEC, utilizing consensus leadership skills. All programs are triggered by Associates, and carried through the FEC, taking care to utilize a bottoms-up Spirit-led strategic planning process.
(A new FD will be encouraged to spend time working along side an experienced FD in an established STLI operation in Central Asia, before beginning work in a new area of operation).
4. Assure that the all operations take place within the operating guidelines set forth in the STLI organizational documents including: By-Laws, Philosophy, Core Values, Information for Associates, Participating Organization Agreements, Service and Secondment Agreements, Security Guidelines, and FEC established local operating procedures.
5. Supervise the development and maintenance of enabling management systems for application in a cross-cultural setting.
6. Assure effective leadership of established organizational subdivisions, programs and projects, including Strategic Planning of new work and the ongoing evaluation and management of work in progress.
7. Personnel management as necessary, including oversight of orientation, hospitality, work assignments, pastoral care, of Associates and short-term workers or teams.
8. Financial management, including oversight of all field activities, budgets, accounts, accountants and accurate and timely financial reporting.
9. Provide oversight of local office management and staff and to assure that these are functioning effectively in support of the FEC-driven programs and corporate requirements.
10. Develop and maintain good relationships with government agencies, participating organizations and other NGO's.
11. Provide periodic status reports from the FEC, to the BD, including the provision of project and financial information necessary to support BD needs and international fundraising activities.
D. JOB CONSIDERATIONS and QUALIFICATIONS:
1. This is a full-time leadership position. Scheduled work hours determined by the needs of the tasks associated with the responsibilities listed above. The person filling this position will be recruited through one of STLI Participating Organizations (PO) and will Seconded to STLI for the duration of the assignment. The specific Central Asian work location will determined by the spirit-led opportunities available to STLI.
2. Required Skills, Experience and Qualities:
a) A vital Christian who has a passion for cross-cultural ministry.
b) Committed to leading a movement in partnership with like-minded cross-cultural and national organizations.
c) A leader who is able to cast and re-cast vision.
c) Ability to supervise the development of management systems that enable and empower people in a cross-cultural setting.
d) Openness to new pioneering projects as well as good maintenance of existing work.
e) Outstanding people skills. An acknowledged "team" player and consensus builder with good balance between vision and attention to detail.
f) Good communication skills, both verbal and written.
g) A leader who can enable and empower
h) A self-starter with creative ideas. Enthusiastically interested in maturing STLI's cross-cultural business processes to those that will support a "maturing" organization.
i) Experienced in the various facets of effectively operating a small business enterprise.
j) Computer literate (including Windows, MS Word & MS Excel.).
k) Works well with others including public contact and volunteer workers.
l) Experienced in Spirit-Led, bottoms-up, strategic planning and project management.
Note: The new FD should be prepared to facilitate an increase of non-Western involvement in STLI.