This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Director of Outdoor Eduction
Mission Springs Christian Camps & Conference Center
Santa Cruz, California, California, United States
Date Posted: 07/17/2006
Categories: Sports and Recreation
Job Type: Full-Time
Brief Description of Duties
The Outdoor Education Director promotes, schedules, and contracts all schools including school visitations and maintaining of a healthy relationship with teachers and administrators. The Director hires all seasonal Naturalists (approx. 12), oversees all curriculum and program development, and facilities, and is responsible for creating and managing an annual budget. Oversees Assistant Director who helps oversee Naturalists who lead outdoor-based education classes, Bible studies, campfires, ropes course activities, off site beach and redwood field trips, and helps assist with other activities.
Brief Description of the Program
Outdoor Education is a residential program primarily for children in grades 4 to 8 from both Christian and public schools. Students live on site in our facilities and participate in a 4 or 5 day program along with teachers and chaperones that the school brings. There are approximately 20 students per teaching group and at times as many as 230 people in the program during one week. Naturalists are in seasonal positions and their hours run from 40 to 50 hours per week with weekends free to explore the California Coast, the Sierra Nevada or San Francisco. They live in community with other Naturalists and are a part of the larger Mission Springs staff.
Outdoor Education runs from September to June. There are limited times of unpaid breaks for the Naturalists, but curriculum planning and creation time for the Director. For the Director and Assistant Director, the months of July and August are focused on program maintenance, hiring, contracting and overall program planning.
Who Should Apply?
Those with educational and/or experiential backgrounds that include some Biology or any of the Natural Sciences, and also have backgrounds in Christian Camping, Outdoor Education, and/or classroom teaching. Those with a passion for kids and Gods creation.
Summary of Qualifications
1) A mature Christian committed to evangelism and spiritual growth.
2) BA or B.S. required. Classroom teaching experience desired. M.S. or M.A. is plus.
3) Previous administrative experience required.
4) Excellent physical, emotional and spiritual health.
5) Enthusiastic teacher and role model for young adult staff (20 - 30 years).
6) A passion for Gods creation, creativity, enthusiasm, flexibility, self-motivation, and a sense of humor.
7) Knowledge about environmental issues and a Christian response.
8) Current Red Cross Standard First Aid and CPR certification, or willing to get certification before employment starts.
9) Desire and ability to hire and mentor naturalists staff.