SAMS' purpose is to recruit, send and support Anglican missionaries to be witnesses and make disciples for Jesus Christ in fellowship with the Anglican Church globally. SAMS' missionaries share the Gospel, establish churches,
train national church leaders, and minister through medical clinics, social ministries and schools. SAMS’ staff members are committed to Jesus Christ and to the values, mission, and vision of the Society.
Job Summary: The Accountant is responsible for performing general accounting, cash management, budgeting, payroll, benefits, contributions, accounts payable and missionary account administrative functions of the Society of Anglican Missionaries
and Senders (“the Society”).
Reports to: Mission Director and, secondarily, to the Director of Accounting
Time Requirement: Salaried, full-time, exempt position
- Responsible for all Society business transactions on a day-to-day and month-to-month basis.
- Responsible for verifying the accuracy of all transactions prior to posting, allocating and posting transactions to the proper accounts and journals, making sure that there is adequate documentation to support all transactions.
- Post all of the Society’s transactions in a timely and accurate manner.
- Maintain the chart of accounts and project codes.
- Provide accurate reports for the Mission Director, Board of Trustees, Director of Accounting, missionaries, interns, senders, and dioceses.
- Implement report-writing module to develop new reports.
- Perform month-end close functions including:
- Review reconciliation of bank accounts
- Review reconciliation of invoices and general ledger accounts
- Prepare month-end journal entries.
- Produce accurate and timely monthly financial reports for the Mission Director and the Board of Trustees.
- Assist the Director of Accounting in producing an annual financial report in preparation for the annual external audit.
- Work with the Director of Accounting to prepare for the yearly external audit.
- Administer the insurance and capital improvement programs of the Society.
- Maintain filing system for Finance Department.
- Provide to auditors all requested information and access to accounting records for the audit.
- Provide staff support as a representative of the Mission Director to the Board of Trustees, especially to the Audit Review Committee and the In Team, making recommendations and providing pertinent and timely information.
- Oversee the outsourced performance of monthly bank statement reconciliations.
- Maintain the Society’s stock and mutual fund portfolios.
- Invest surplus cash in short-term money instruments and long-term investments as directed by Board’s Investment Committee.
- Create deposits to missionary banking accounts for reimbursements.
- Work with the Mission Director in the construction of the annual budget.
- Solicit input from all cost centers for inclusion in the budget process.
- Assist in producing missionary budgets with Associate Director.
- Submit budget to In Team and Board of Trustees for final approval.
- Input budget into accounting software system.
- Monitor transactions for all home office cost centers against the annual budget.
- Provide monthly status reports on missionary balances and budget summary to the Board of Trustees.
- Initiates regular meetings for special project funds and budget as needed with the Mission Director.
- Update salary calculations of missionaries.
- Update missionary account floors.
- Work with the Donor Relations Associate on coordination of duties.
- Provide oversight in the contribution receipt process.
- Reconcile contribution receipts with general ledger accounts.
- Assist in the process of preparing and distributing annual donor receipts.
- E-mail monthly statements to missionaries, interns and dioceses.
- Record equity and donations in kind.
- Track with legacies and trusts.
- Provide payroll information to outsourced payroll service for staff twice a month and missionaries once a month.
- Record monthly payroll and payroll tax expenses.
- Ensure that there are sufficient funds in the appropriate accounts to cover payroll expenses.
- Complete in a timely manner all tax filings.
- With the Associate Director enroll new employees in health and life insurance programs.
- Administer home office Health Reimbursement Arrangement.
- Record quarterly pension expense.
- Coordinate purchasing with the Mission Director and the Office Manager.
- Accurately record all vendor invoices.
- Record recurring accounts payable journal entries.
- Maintain accurate vendor records.
- Perform monthly reconciliation of credit card statements.
- Ensure sufficient funds are available in appropriate accounts to pay vendors on a timely basis.
- Pay vendors accurately and in a timely manner.
- Perform monthly reconciliation of accounts payable aging to general ledger.
- Verify Great Commission Fund percentage set aside amounts.
- Pay missionary bills and reimbursement requests.
- Oversee the recording, payment and reporting of missionary income and disbursements.
- Provide accurate, timely information to missionaries and the Society.
- Provide financial status of missionaries to the Society’s staff.
- Provide monthly statement of activity to missionaries.
- Perform random audits of missionary expense reports.
- Track advances to missionaries.
- Track missionary reimbursements against missionary accounts.
External Reporting / Compliance
- Prepare reports for the Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability (ECFA), Anglican Global Mission Partners (AGMP), Missio Nexus and other accountability organizations ensuring that the Society continues in good membership standing with such organizations.
- Apply applicable quarterly updates provided by Kaplan and Kraus pertaining to non-profit financial issues, which the Accountant utilizes to strengthen the Society’s policies.
- Ensure compliance with external governmental and regulatory requirements and standards of the ECFA as well as compliance with internal policies and procedures of the Society.
Other duties as assigned
- Assist the Mission Director in special projects performing duties as assigned.
- Assist the Director of Accounting in special projects performing duties as assigned.
- Participate in Board Meetings twice a year.
- Attend Staff Retreats twice a year.
- Participate in software training, conferences, and continuing education opportunities.
- Attend New Wineskins for Global Mission Conference once every three years.
Minimum of an Associates degree in Accounting is required. Bachelor’s degree in Accounting is preferred.
- Able to comfortably handle multiple responsibilities and functions.
- Person of integrity and high ethical standards.
- Strong MS Excel, Word and accounting software skills (Accufund is SAMS’ current software.)
- Detail oriented, well organized and effective in prioritizing work.
- Skillful in time management and meeting critical deadlines.
- Excellent communication and financial report writing skills.
- Familiarity and compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), governmental and regulatory requirements and standards of external organizations.
- Willingness to sign affirmation of service and statement of faith.
For more information visit SAMS website at
To apply - please send resumes and cover letters to