This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Homeless Shelter Dispatch Manager
Seattle, Washington, United States
Date Posted: 07/18/2006
Job Type: Full-Time
Every night of the year, homeless men, women and families gather at Operation Nightwatchs Dispatch Center seeking a meal and shelter for the night. The Dispatch Manager serves as the overseer of the Dispatch Center and is responsible for its overall operation. He/she ensures that clients, volunteers and staff are treated in a manner that is consistent with our Christian foundation - with emphasis on fairness, honesty, dignity and respect. The Dispatch Manager strives to maintain an environment that is compassionate, orderly and safe for clients, volunteers and staff.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
(Responsibilities, Accountabilities, and Competencies; May not include all duties of this job)
1. Create and maintain a compassionate and orderly environment in the Dispatch Center.
2. Provide a meal and dispatch to shelter for homeless clients every night of the year.
3. Ensure appropriate staffing of the Dispatch Center through scheduling of employees (Supervisors and Security Guards) and volunteers.
4. Supervise custodial work in the Dispatch Center.
5. Manage kitchen operation, including staffing, food products and supplies.
6. Manage the inventory of client support products, such as blankets, socks, hats and hygiene supplies.
1. Supervise the Dispatch Center employees and volunteers.
2. With support of administrative staff, recruit, interview and select new employees and volunteers.
3. Provide training for new employees and volunteers.
4. Provide on-going support, encouragement, motivation and recognition for employees and volunteers.
5. Conduct performance evaluations for all Dispatch Center employees and make wage and salary recommendations to Administration.
6. Create and maintain the nightly schedule for staff and volunteers.
7. Create and maintain volunteer records, including record of service and current contact information.
1. Develop, document and implement Dispatch Center policies and procedures consistent with Operation Nightwatch policies, to place clients into shelter.
2. Ensure these policies and procedures are applied with compassion and consistency by all staff and volunteers.
3. Serve as back up, when necessary, for the Night Supervisor.
1. Ensure that food service is provided to clients each night.
2. Ensure staff and volunteers use proper sanitation and hygiene practices.
3. Maintain an appropriate inventory of food product and supplies.
4. Order food products and supplies.
5. Receive and properly store food donations.
6. Prepare reports required by the donated food contracts.
1. Develop and implement a maintenance plan for the Dispatch Center facility including cleaning, painting and upkeep of furnishings.
2. Oversee custodial work, including maintaining adequate cleaning supplies and equipment.
3. Maintain all Dispatch Center equipment (including kitchen.)
1. Develop and maintain forms for the Dispatch desk.
2. Complete and maintain records, logs and reports, as required by law and Operation Nightwatch policy.
3. Report building maintenance problems and supplies (office, kitchen and custodial) needs to administrative staff on a timely basis.
4. Communicate information, as required, with the administrative staff.
5. Provide input for reports and contract/grant applications.
6. Secure valuables (i.e. donations, bus tickets, hygiene supplies, etc.) as appropriate.
Perform other related duties as required.
ESSENTIAL JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
(Any equivalent Combination of Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, and Experience)
1. Education: Bachelors degree. Life experience in a related field may be substituted.
2. Experience: Supervisory experience and experience working with people who are homeless.
3. Faith: Holds a personal Christian faith, consistent with the Nightwatch inter-denominational Christian purpose.
4. Other Qualifications: Ability to work effectively in a chaotic environment. Experience with volunteer recruitment and supervision. Experience working with computers, (Word and Excel). Strong interpersonal skills. Communication skills as evidenced by the ability to express self clearly, both verbally and in writing. Valid WA state drivers license and regular access to a vehicle during working hours and Food Handlers Permit will be required.
Standing/walking: Frequently Sitting: Frequently
Lift/Carry Occasionally Push/Pull Occasionally
Climbing Rarely Bending/twisting Occasionally
Hands/Arms Constantly Sight Constantly