HEAL Africa USA
HEAL Africa, a Christian non-governmental organization located in Goma, Democratic Republic of the Congo( DRC), compassionately serves the vulnerable people and communities of this region through a holistic approach to
Health care, Education, community
Leadership development (HEAL). Following the example of Jesus Christ these services are offered to all people without discrimination.
The Executive Director is the face HEAL Africa in the United States. S/he articulates the mission/vision/values, creates strategy in alignment with the priorities of the HEAL Africa General Assembly and the HEAL Africa USA Board, manages and oversees
development and implementation of key initiatives, ensures compliance with all appropriate regulatory bodies, and oversees effective delivery of key services. The Executive Director is responsible for the development of human and financial resources. He/she
maintains well-functioning systems for finance and other operational activities. This position reports to the HEAL Africa USA Board.
I. Leadership – Organizational Stewardship:
Organizational Leadership: Possess and model absolute commitment to the mission of HEAL Africa. Articulate the vision and strategy for HEAL Africa. Engage actively with organizations, funders, and volunteers to advance HEAL Africa’s mission and work. Maintain
and nurture collaborative working relationships with the HEAL Africa General Assembly and senior staff in Goma, Democratic Republic of the Congo.
Strategic Planning: Lead annual strategic planning process that exhibits his/her own strategic vision and incorporates the input and programmatic vision of HEAL Africa USA staff. Coordinate with HEAL Africa Goma and ensures the strategic plan reflects the HEAL
Africa’s overall mission and goals.
Staff Management: Hire, train and supervise staff members. Build and maintain unity among the staff. Ensure compliance with applicable regulations; Remain accountable at all times for his/her own and the team’s actions.
Operations: Responsible for effective administration of HEAL Africa USA operations. Ensure timely and consistent communication with internal and external partners regarding issues, policies, and reporting. Responsible for signing all agreements, notes and
instruments made and entered into on behalf of the organization as authorized by the Board.
Human Resources: Maintain/create utilize job descriptions and annual performance reviews.
Advocacy: Lead/support advocacy efforts consistent with the mission, vision, and values of HEAL Africa.
II. Financial Management:
Budget Oversight: Oversee annual HEAL Africa USA budget development; regularly review the operating budget as well as monthly budget-to-actuals; maintain effective systems for tracking spending rates; address anomalies in revenue and expenses. Provide the
HEAL Africa USA board with monthly financial reports. Work with external accounting and audit firms to ensure accuracy and compliance of financials.
Program Budget Tracking: Track direct assistance, grant funds, contribution-in-kind resources, assuring appropriate fund allocation. Be responsible for executing wire payments to approved program recipients and confirming reception of said payments.
III. External Relations
Provide vision for overall fundraising strategy and develop a US fundraising plan based on analysis of program strengths, service gaps and the environment.
Development: Cultivate donor relationships with persons, corporations, foundations, governmental agencies, other not for profits to maintain and expand funding base. Collaborate with HEAL Africa Goma and with HEAL Africa USA staff to ensure effective use of
technical support and resources.
Marketing: Execute effective marketing strategies and oversee development of marketing materials that adhere to HEAL Africa’s branding guidelines.
Media and Communications: Maintain professional and positive public image of HEAL Africa; liaise with HEAL Africa Goma. Oversee the web and social media presence of HEAL Africa.
- Commitment to the Mission, Vision, and Values of HEAL Africa.
- Bachelor’s Degree in international development, non-profit management or relevant field; an advanced degree in similar field may be advantageous.
- Five years progressive work experience with development or relief agency, with preference for previous experience with international clients/agencies.
- Five years of management experience, including effective management of personnel and budgets.
- Successful fundraising and grant writing experience; excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Solid diplomatic and relationship building skills; demonstrated ability to build and nurture teams; ability to lead effectively and enhance internal and external relationships, including partners and donors.
- Proven leadership skills with a demonstrated ability to deliver results and translate words into action.
- Ability to work successfully and with utmost integrity and respect in a cross-cultural environment.
- Proficiency or demonstrated ability to learn technology including computer skills in Microsoft Word Programs, basic knowledge of donor software programs and web programs.
- Ability to travel in the United States and internationally to Goma DRC.
- Willingness to perform other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
Compensation is dependent upon experience and proven expertise.
Please request details on Application process from: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or write to HEAL Africa USA Search Committee
P.O. Box 545
Caledonia, MI 49316
Currently the HEAL Africa office is located in Michigan, however, the next Executive Director does not necessarily need to live near the office.