COOK MUSEUM OF NATURAL SCIENCE
Reports To: Executive Director of Cook’s Museum of Natural Science
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Goals of the Cook Museum Gift Shop are to generate profitable revenues while extending the visitor experience through access to products and materials that celebrate the amazing natural world around us, provide value, support S.T.E.A.M Education, promote learning through play, and highlights skilled local artists.
In addition the Museum seeks to establish the store as a premier shopping destination in Decatur, Alabama and is dedicated to growing and nurturing a customer base drawn from a much broader demographic profile than that of the typical museum visitor.
The Museum Store Manager is responsible for the operation of the museum store, including purchasing, product development, ecommerce, initiatives, inventory control, and staff hiring and supervision. This person provides leadership and guidance to gift store staff, helping to recruit, train and develop a successful sales team, and creates an environment focused on customer satisfaction and exemplary customer service, maximum productivity, profitability, and loss prevention. The ideal candidate will have excellent business acumen combined with a strong visual sense and have the ability to direct others in day to day activities while focusing on long term events and planning.
Specific Duties Include:
- Detailed development of the museum store first year implementation budget including grand opening
- Responsible for developing store purchasing and pricing strategy to achieve sales goals
- Manage all phases of store operations including the production and adherence to budgets, development of sales plans, and development and enforcement of store policies
- Work with manufacturers, designers, and internal staff and outside vendors to develop products that reflect the Museum's unique aesthetic and are suitable for retail
- Hire, train and supervise sales staff; oversee customer service activities, ensuring productivity and a level of customer service reflective of the Museum's commitment to excellence
- Create and maintain an intimate and welcoming appearance of the store along with an overall appearance and display strategy that is unique to the Cook Museum
- Collaborate with Museum leadership to establish products that align with the Museum's programs and events
- Oversee all aspects of the Museum Store's audit and annual inventory
- Manage special retail events throughout the year to increase earned revenue and raise visibility in the community. Assist with visitor and revenue-producing areas, i.e. special events
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director
- At least 5 years prior experience in retail store management and product development
- Energetic self-starter who is willing to work hands-on and has an understanding of what constitutes excellent customer service
- Strong Interpersonal and problem solving skills
- Ability to handle multiple responsibilities and demands with high level of decorum and patience
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills necessary for working with a number of constituents including museum staff, vendors, corporate clients and the general public
- Experience with Microsoft Excel, point-of-sale (POS) software and preferably ecommerce systems
- Bachelor's degree required
- Willing to work some weekend, evening and special events
Cook's Is An Equal Opportunity Employer
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Cook's Pest Control
The Cook Museum of Natural Science has the mission to engage, excite and educate visitors of all ages about the natural, created world around us. Downtown Decatur, Alabama, will be home to the 35,000-square-foot museum. It will include interactive, hands-on and experiential exhibits to engage our visitors in learning just how fascinating life and our Earth really are. More...