The President is the Chief Executive Officer of Wheat Ridge Ministries and is directly accountable to the Board of Directors of Wheat Ridge. The President provides inspired leadership for all aspects of operations in pursuit of the Wheat Ridge mission, including administrative policies and procedures, program services, resource development, constituency relations, financial accountability, staff supervision, marketing and communications.
The President serves in many situations as the face and voice of Wheat Ridge Ministries. The President takes an active role in donor relations and fund raising activity, particularly in the cultivation of major gifts. The President keeps broadly informed about issues in the church and the world, particularly relating to areas which Wheat Ridge has identified as within its scope of health and hope ministries.
The President strongly articulates and promotes the mission of Wheat Ridge Ministries. The President lives and leads in the light of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and cares deeply for the leaders and ultimate recipients of the services of organizations and projects seeded by Wheat Ridge Ministries.
- Fosters the development of a common vision for Wheat Ridge Ministries among staff and supporting volunteers.
- Provides clear direction and a sense of priorities.
- Makes tough decisions and acts courageously in taking a stand on difficult issues.
- Creates energy and enthusiasm.
- Gains support and commitment.
- Guides the board and its key committees in matters of policy formulation and interpretation.
- Mobilizes individuals and groups to take action.
Champions Strategic Perspective
- Understands the changing social, competitive, economic and giving environment faced by Wheat Ridge Ministries and develops innovative approaches to meet the challenges of this new environment. Melds these approaches into an overall strategic plan.
- Acts as catalyst for needed change and stimulates staff and the volunteers to accept and implement new initiatives.
Skilled at Resource Development
- Is able to develop effective resource development strategies and can direct a staff in planning, organizing and executing fund raising and planned giving activities.
- Possesses the personal skills required to make fund raising appeals to individuals, groups, and/or corporations.
Builds Relationships: Interpersonal and Stakeholder
- Establishes open, trusting and candid working relationships with all stakeholders.
- Treats all individuals fairly and with respect.
- Deals constructively with conflict and disagreements.
- Builds consensus.
- Presents a credible image to the stakeholders as head of Wheat Ridge Ministries.
- Speaks clearly and expresses self well in groups and one-on-one conversations.
- Is an excellent writer; listens well; encourages the open expression of ideas and opinions.
- Delivers clear, convincing and well-organized presentations. Promotes a free flow of information throughout the organization.
Demonstrates Mature Self-Confidence
- Maintains a positive outlook.
- Responds constructively to stress.
- Realistically appraises own strengths and weaknesses.
- Conveys a clear sense of personal goals and values.
- Pursues continuous learning and self-development.
- Seeks feedback and is flexible in making appropriate changes in behavior.
- Maintains high standards of person integrity.
Manages Staff Effectively
- Attracts high caliber people and creates an effective organizational structure.
- Assigns accountabilities and will make tough people selection and termination decisions.
- Oversees the development of efficient and cost effective support systems.
- Fosters teamwork in support of organizational goals.
- Communicates a sense of urgency and a focus on results.
- Provides feedback and coaching and makes needed training and development opportunities available to staff.
- Creates a climate that fosters personal investment, excellence and a commitment to the goals of Wheat Ridge Ministries.
Demonstrates Financial and Resource Management Acumen
- Manages financial resources wisely.
- Understands the development of operating budgets as well as the need to collect and account for all funds and property of the organization.
- Understands the current economic environment that demands the need to accomplish more with few resources.
Provides Faith-based Leadership Consistent with Lutheran Christian Theology, Tradition and Practice
- Is able to interpret and promote the mission of Wheat Ridge Ministries in light of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
- Understands the culture of the Lutheran church and is able to communicate effectively with clergy and leaders in congregations and church bodies.
- Decisions and actions reflect faith maturity.
- Possesses the ability to encourage and support the faith development of staff and board members.
The President is appointed by and is accountable to the Wheat Ridge Ministries Board of Directors, as detailed in the Board Policy Manual. If the President’s credentials include clergy or commissioned roster status with a church denomination, the Board of Directors will issue a Call to Service consistent with the practices of the denomination.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in non-profit leadership. Previous experience leading an organization of national/international scope preferred, but not required;
- Per the Core Competencies listed above, demonstrates competency in institutional advancement, public speaking and writing, strategic planning, staff development, and financial management.
- Experience in the grant making process helpful, but not required.
- Strong Christian faith, character and lifestyle.
- Thoroughly familiar with Lutheran Christian theology and practice. Possesses a keen understanding of Christian congregations, clergy and church bodies, especially Lutheran.
- Active participant in worship and other congregation activities, with a preference for a Lutheran congregation.
- Passionate about Christ-centered witness and service related to health and human care ministry as demonstrated by current or past professional or volunteer engagement.
- Able to lead and manage effectively in a multiple task environment and to utilize computer technology and social media effectively in leading, managing and communicating.
- Comfortable with a significant amount of travel nationally and, occasionally, internationally.
- Evidence of commitment to continuing professional education, including a minimum of a Master’s Degree in a field of study related to the leadership requirements of the position.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Vice President of CommunicationForum of Christian Leaders
- Lisle, Illinois
- December 8
Business Teachers in Asia (No Teaching Experience Required)Academics In Asia
- China, China
- December 2
Executive DirectorBoys & Girls Country
- Hockley, Texas
- November 21
General Secretary/Executive DirectorInternational Ministerial Fellowship
- Excelsior, Minnesota
- October 14
Wheat Ridge Ministries
Established in 1905, Wheat Ridge Ministries provides funding and support for inspired leaders starting new health-related ministries. Our dedication to serve others comes from the Christian faith, believing that all of God’s people in Christ are called to help others experience a more abundant life. Our efforts are focused on improving the health of the whole person, by addressing wellness of body, mind and spirit. Currently, more than 70 Lutheran-affiliated ministries around the world are receiving assistance through Wheat More...