This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Maple Park Lutheran Bretheran Church
Lynnwood, Washington, United States
Date Posted: 07/18/2007
Job Type: Full-Time
Maple Park Lutheran Brethren church is seeking a self-motivated, detail oriented and well organized person with an accounting and administrative background for a part time business management position. Candidate must have 3-5 years accounting experience, proficiency in QuickBooks, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, internet and email. A team player with great ministry (service) attributes and excellent interpersonal communication skills is desired.
Maple Park Lutheran Brethren
The Business Manager will provide effective support for the total ministry of Maple Park Lutheran Brethren through efficient supervision of the business aspects of the churchs life. The Business Manager shall conduct the business affairs of the church in an ethical and professional manner and oversee the implementation of policies and programs as they pertain to and are associated with the churchs business operations. Qualifications include sincere Christian faith, familiarity with church life, moral integrity, sensitivity, discretion, and a strong work ethic.
1. Finance & Administration. The Business manager will work with the churchs officers and staff, under the direction of the Senior Pastor, Church Council and Trustee Committee as defined by the by laws within the church constitution, in administering the business affairs of the congregation, acting as a staff resource to the Trustee Committee. More specifically, the Business Manager will:
a) Oversee all operations conducted by the church administrative staff. This includes supervision of all church staff other than the pastoral staff or program staff.
b) Maintain sound financial accounting practices and budgetary control of the churchs assets. This includes hands-on bookkeeping as well as coordinating with the Trustee Committee in evaluating financial management of all church assets and operations.
c) Prepare monthly financial reports from records which have been maintained in accordance with generally accepted accounting procedures. These statements shall include, but not necessarily be limited to, a statement of receipts and disbursements, a statement of all cash balances and funds, and detailed monthly financial reports to the appropriate Trustee Committee chairman and responsible staff persons.
d) Act as an agent for the church regarding business affairs with outside entities or persons.
e) Oversee the operation of the church facilities regarding using and/or rent of church properties or assets, issuing billing and collecting associated fees or rent.
f) Coordinate with the Trustee Committee in preparation of the annual church budget, acting as a resource person for other staff, ministries and the Trustee Committee during the budgeting process.
g) Process payables on a weekly basis, coordinating the signing of checks each week with the Church Treasurer and providing backup for all disbursements at the time of signature.
h) Maintain, and further develop as necessary, a written procedures manual detailing the day-to-day functions and duties related to the churchs financial affairs.
i) Coordinate with other staff members to develop and maintain written procedures and job descriptions relating to specific church positions other than pastoral or program staff.
2. Contributions and Receipts. The Business Manager will maintain confidential pledging and contribution records, acting as a staff resource person to the Pastoral Staff, Church Council and Trustee Committee. More specifically, the Business Manager will:
a) Act as a staff resource to Trustees in weekly compilation and deposit of all contributions and other receipts. This support shall include planning proper procedures and controls to assure accurate contribution records and security of church receipts; however it will not include actual counting or processing of funds received.
b) Prepare and distribute periodic and year-end confidential contribution statements.
c) Order and distribute offering or pledge envelopes each year.
3. Human resources. The Business Manager will administer (with respect to all staff) the churchs Personnel Policies and Procedures, acting as a staff resource to the Pastoral Staff, Church Council and Trustee Committee. More specifically, the Business Manager will:
a) Maintain personnel records of all employees.
b) Process staff payroll each month within the guidelines established by the Pastoral Staff, Church Council and Trustee Committee. This includes responsibility for all payroll tax deposits and periodic tax reporting requirements.
c) Monitor and coordinate compliance with applicable labor laws.
d) Prepare and process payments and reports to the Church of the Lutheran Brethren.
e) Assist the Pastoral Staff, Church Council and Trustee Committee in organizing annual reviews for non-ministerial staff.
4. Facilities Management. With input from and assistance of the Trustee Committee, the Business Manager will develop financial analyses and plans to support the implementation of maintenance, renovations and new construction projects, acting as a staff resource to the Pastoral Staff, Church Council and Trustee Committee.
5. Investment and Cash Management. The Business Manager will prepare quarterly reports regarding investment accounts, including balances and activities. The Business Manager will prepare investment options to be reviewed and authorized by the Pastoral Staff, Church Council and Trustee Committee.
Bachelors degree in accounting, finance or business administration or equivalent experience is required. Must have working knowledge of general ledger software accounting packages and be familiar with spreadsheet, word processing and presentation software. Knowledge of human resource practices and payroll processing and reporting is desirable.
Please send resume to: Maple Park Lutheran Brethren
Attn: Pastor Dave Overland
17620 60th Ave. W.
Lynnwood, WA 98037
or email to: Pastor Dave Overland at email@example.com