Job Title: Technical Theater Supervisor
Job Status: Full-Time or Part Time
Exempt Status: Exempt
Reports to: Director of Operations
# Of Vacant positions: 1
Performs a variety of highly responsible managerial and administrative functions for the TKA Theater. Works under limited supervision from a Director within a broad framework of policies and procedures. This job requires advanced abilities and skills in
theater technology applications, and excellent abilities and skills in written and oral communication, initiative, organization, problem solving, and independent judgment. The job description will be flexible depending on full time or part time assignment.
Duties and Responsibilities
Performs work related to the overall technical functioning of the equipment and utilities within the TKA Theater.
• Provide for and oversee technical needs for all Visual and Performing Arts (VPA) events, Spiritual Life events, College Counseling events, all-school events, and outside rental events taking place within the Theater.
• Coordinate with TKA Facilities/Maintenance Department for event preparation connected with the usage of the Theater.
• Recruit, select, train, assign shifts, and shepherd Technical Theater students in areas of lighting, sound, and basic stagecraft.
• Instruct and oversee Technical Theater students for all VPA events.
• Ensure all Theater technical equipment is in working order.
• Oversee load-in and strike processes of all VPA events, including equipment truck rental and coordination of qualified drivers.
• Manage rental equipment pick-ups and returns.
• Coordinate with set and scene designers for shop use; ensure sets are built in a timely fashion, and that they fit the specifications of the director and limitations of the stage; oversee student work crews; assist parent work crews as needed.
• Ensure lighting configurations are appropriately reset for everyday use after productions.
• Serve as the technical director for both the Senior High Musical and the Junior High Spring Play.
• Attend all VPA Production and Department meetings.
• Any other duties that may be assigned.
Performs work related to TKA Theater and W Building technology and facility support functions.
• Inventory and manage the sound and light equipment of the Theater and W Building.
• Oversee refurbishing/renovation projects of the Theater.
• Manage/maintain the cleanliness and functionality of the stage curtains.
• Coordinate Theater use through consultation with both the Operations and Facilities/Maintenance Departments, accounting for prioritization of TKA groups, Theater maintenance/repairs, and outside group usage.
• Provide a comprehensive table of pricing for both Theater-based and W Building-based equipment used by outside rental groups, and update as needed; provide a current inventory/status list of Theater and W Building equipment to outside groups prior to rental
agreements; assemble equipment quote for each rental being considered; conduct inventory/status inspection of the facility rented and the associated equipment after each rental is complete.
• Develop design for online requests for outside Theater and W Building rental including Theater/W Building specifications and equipment rental.
• Arrange for video recording of VPA productions, including the possibility of meeting Public Relations promotional targets.
• Develop working budget to cover basic equipment and facility needs; develop a “roadmap” to achieve various capital improvements for the Theater.
• Oversee the TKA set shop—construction safety, equipment maintenance and repair, and use scheduling; provide inventory of sets.
• Oversee TKA prop shop at the warehouse—inventory, cleaning, check-ins and returns of items; replacements as needed.
• Establish a rental process for sets, props, and costumes.
Performs work related to student instruction beginning school year 2015-2016 (If interested)
• Provide student class instruction for the Technical Theater course;oversee students in providing direct hands-on support for all VPA performances, Spiritual Life chapels, and all other TKA-related events.
• Commitment to serving Christ.
• Strong attention to detail.
• Generally positive demeanor; exceptional level of customer service, work ethic.
• High degree of flexibility required in responding to demands of work environment and task prioritization.
• Strong sense of organization and planning, needed for both event needs, and Theater facility Preventive and Routine Maintenance.
• Ability to understand, love and relate to students
• Heart to mentor students, helping them to realize their potential in Christ.
Training and Experience
• Minimum of completed undergraduate college degree in any area, preferably in Technical Theater.
• Prefer experience working in a team-oriented, service-based environment.
• Extensive resume showcasing technical theater experience, preferably including work in an education or ministry institution.
Knowledge and Abilities
• Knowledge of theater mechanics and safety concerns, proficient enough to oversee the proper use and maintenance of the ropes system, electronics, sound system, and various complimentary equipment in the TKA inventory.
• Strong leadership and mentoring skills.
• Ability to build out curriculum and lesson plans for technical theater class, including comprehensive instruction in lighting, set, costume and make-up design; light and sound technician and stagehand skills; and stage management.
• Knowledge of correct English usage, grammar, punctuation, vocabulary, and spelling.
• Ability to communicate orally and in writing with large and small groups.
• Excellent problem solving skills.
• Research, analysis, and project planning.
• Basic financial record-keeping, budgeting, and mathematics.
• Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
• Maintain Theater calendar, schedule meetings, prepare meeting agendas, and take meeting minutes.
• Technical proficiency with computers and various software programs, including word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, basic graphics, database queries and reporting, and basic Google client tools.
• Ability to understand and relate to students, with a love of supporting them.
• Primarily an office environment; (and classroom environment starting 2015-2016)
• Frequently required for working during evening and weekend hours.
The King’s Academy offers excellent benefits to employees and family. Please check our website for more information at www.tkabenefits.com.