Job Title: Academic & College Counselor
Status: Exempt – Full Time
Department: Academic & College Counseling
Reports to: Director of Academic & College Counseling
The primary duties of the College Counselor are advising juniors and seniors of post-secondary educational options available, assisting with preparing a college list of “fit” colleges to consider, assisting students with the college application process, writing professional letters of recommendation on their behalf, and empowering them to be “salt and light” after graduation. The Counselor will share one-third of the second-semester junior class and senior class for academic and college advising through graduation. Additionally, the counselor will share advising for a minimum of one-third of the 9th grade students along with the College Counselor and Director. The counselor will advise ninth grade students on course planning and meet with families/students with academic concerns on an as-needed basis.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Meet one-on-one with each assigned student and his/her family in the second semester of junior year to discuss/advise course selection for senior year, standardized testing, and possible college choices.
- Follow-up with assigned students throughout senior year. Prepare Secondary School Report and accompanying Counselor Letter of Recommendation for assigned students.
- Assist Director and Co-College Counselor as needed on functions within the office of Academic and College Advising.
- Assist 9th grade with course selection and parents/students with academic concerns.
- Assist Director in delivery of seven evening presentations for parents and students.
- Attend and monitor visits from college admissions representatives and the Christian College Fair.
- Assist Director in class-room presentations and workshops for during lunch and after school.
- Attend annual conferences by the UCs, CSUs, and WACAC and NACAC (western and national college admission organizations, respectively) to expand knowledge and keep current on latest college information.
- Visit colleges and universities in California and the United States when the opportunity arises to do so, to learn, network and promote TKA.
- Expand knowledge and stay current through materials sent by colleges, the NACAC list serve, relevant articles, etc.
- Attend grade-level meetings, following up with meetings with individual students and teachers as needed.
- Work with Dean of Students, Academic Support Services, Athletics Department, and the Registrar’s Office on behalf of individual students as needed.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree (minimum)
- Certification in college counseling
- Minimum of three years of college counseling experience in high school setting
- A large and varied array of colleges and universities in the United States.
- Application process for public universities, private colleges and universities.
- Excellent understanding of basics of financial aid for college education.
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent Skills in: Oral and written communication with individuals and groups; time management.
- Knowledge and Experience in: College counseling.
- Demonstrated Ability to: Multi-task and handle a large and varied case-load independently; meet deadlines.
- Ability to: Function well as part of a team in a fast-paced environment and maintain professionalism and a sense of humor.
- Commitment to serving Jesus Christ
- Ability to respect and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to see and celebrate the potential in each student
- High emotional intelligence, empathy, flexibility, creativity, discretion and patience
This position requires that the employee work from Monday-Friday, several evenings per year, occasional weekends and during school breaks if necessary to meet college deadlines.
This position also requires overnight travel on occasion, sometimes for several consecutive days.
Must be able to: Type on the computer, lift up to 25 lb. boxes, walk up to three miles per day on college tours and sit for extended times during working day.
The King’s Academy offers excellent benefits to employees and family. Please check our web-site for more information at www.tkabenefits.com .
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
The King's Academy
Located in Sunnyvale, CA, The King’s Academy is a private Christ-centered college preparatory school for students in grades 6-12. The school was established in 1991. The King’s Academy is for students who have teachable hearts and coachable spirits. We offer a loving, family environment where students are encouraged to grow in their relationships with Jesus, their family, teachers, and others. We are committed to developing God’s best for each student spiritually, academically, morally, and socially through every program an More...