Job Title: Science Teacher (6th Grade)
Job Status: Full- time
Exempt Status: Exempt
Reports to: Departmental Lead
It is the primary responsibility of the teacher to provide classroom instruction to the students of The King’s Academy, as well as being a positive role model to them. Teachers should view their role as ministry, helping each student towards reaching their full potential in Christ.
Sixth grade science is the systematic study of God’s physical creation and how it works. During the first semester we focus on the relationship between science and mathematics, the metric system, astronomy and the solar system. In the second semester, students study the changing Earth, the nature of matter and oceanography. Weekly labs are used throughout the year to give students experience in the practice of science.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops a curriculum map for each course taught where learning objectives are aligned with California State Standards and the school’s Excepted Student Learning Results
- Prepares detailed lesson plans that will be reviewed weekly by the Department Lead
- Uses a variety of teaching methodologies to create an engaging and safe classroom setting where all students are held to high expectations.
- Prepares materials for labs and maintenance of the lab as a safe environment for students.
- Grades all assignments, tests, quizzes, and projects in a timely manner, using the grading scale provided by the school.
- Keeps an accurate record of all grades for each student, submitting them to the Registrar on time
- Records the day’s or week’s homework on the portal for access by students and parents.
- Keeps an accurate record of all attendance and tardies for each student.
- Maintains discipline in the classroom to insure maximum learning.
- Provides an uncluttered, healthy, and neat area that promotes a good learning and working environmen.
- Always keeps an emergency lesson plan and current substitute folder in case of an unexpected absence.
- Communicates with parents on an “as needed” basis regarding their student’s academic or behavioral status in the class.
- Checks voice messages and emails daily, at a minimum.
- Returns phone calls and emails within 24 hours.
- Keeps an accurate record of all communications with parents.
- Advises the Department Lead and substitute Coordinator as soon as plans to be away from the classroom are being considered.
- Attends Grade Level and Department meetings, as scheduled.
- Leads a daily student home group.
- Coordinates field trips such as Science Camp, the Academy of Science and the Monterey Bay Aquarium.
- Attends the Staff Retreat every year, as scheduled by the Administration.
- Performs any other duties that may be assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in physical science (chemistry or physics) preferred.
- Teaching credential is preferred.
- Experience in middle school education strongly recommended.
Specialized Knowledge in:
- Earth and Physical Sciences
Skills and Abilities:
- Broad knowledge and experience in: Teaching Physical Science
- Above average skills in: Planning Lessons
- Excellent skills in: Communicating both orally and in written form
- Demonstrated ability in: incorporating best practices in education, including effective use of technology.
- Organizing and Performing Laboratory Exercises
- Proficient in managing a classroom environment
- Demonstrated ability to maintain a safe laboratory environment
- Experience in a Middle School environment
- Commitment to serving Jesus Christ
- Ability to work under pressure and in a fast paced environment
- Ability to keep confidential information
- Energetic, flexible.
- Leadership and mentoring skills
- Able to understand, love and relate to Students
This position requires that the employee work from Monday – Friday. Some additional hours in the evenings and on week-ends is necessary for planning and grading. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving vehicles as well as students who might be running or walking absentmindedly. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate. On a few occasions, it might be loud.
While performing the responsibilities of the job, the employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is often required to stare at a computer screen, sit and use their hands and fingers, to handle or feel. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision. The employee might occasionally be required to lift up to 25 lbs. of weight.
The King’s Academy offers excellent benefits to employees and family. Please check our web-site for more information at www.tkabenefits.com.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
K-12 Online Teachers (From Home) All Grades & SubjectsFreedomProject Academy
- Appleton, Wisconsin
- December 6
Native speaker in South KoreaVision Christian International School
- December 3
5 Kindergarten Teachers in ChinaAcademics In Asia
- China, China
- December 2
Entry Level Overseas University English TeachersAcademics In Asia
- China, China
- December 2
Overseas Western Chef & Dining Facility EducatorAcademics In Asia
- China, China
- December 2
The King's Academy
Located in Sunnyvale, CA, The King’s Academy is a private Christ-centered college preparatory school for students in grades 6-12. The school was established in 1991. The King’s Academy is for students who have teachable hearts and coachable spirits. We offer a loving, family environment where students are encouraged to grow in their relationships with Jesus, their family, teachers, and others. We are committed to developing God’s best for each student spiritually, academically, morally, and socially through every program an More...