This position is responsible for developing plans for and performing financial and operational internal audits of the various Company ministry elements to include Field, Camping, and Mission Leadership and Support Services Operations,
as well as coordination of the annual independent audit, and any assigned special projects.
Essential Prerequisites for all staff members (from THE COMPANY’s Bylaws – Article VII):
"Because of the Company’s ’s exclusive Christian purposes of evangelism and discipleship as set forth in its Articles of Incorporation and in these Bylaws, and to reflect what has always been and will continue to be the position
of the Company, specifically the Christian belief that each and every employee and volunteer of the corporation should minister as a servant of God with the primary responsibility of proclaiming the gospel of Jesus Christ and, as such, is an integral
part of the Christian mission and ministry of the corporation, the Company shall only employ individuals or enlist volunteer leaders who: (a) profess a belief in Jesus Christ as their personal Savior and Lord; and (b) subscribe to the statements and
policies required of all Company staff, including the Company’s Statement of Faith. Therefore, employees and volunteers of the Company, during working and nonworking hours, shall: (i) be ready, willing and able to fulfill such ministry functions as may be
required by the organization; (ii) refrain from conduct and statements that detract from the biblical standards taught and supported by the Company, and (iii) abide by all policies and practices of the Company including, without limitation, those related to
religious belief or ministry activities."
- Manage the Internal Audit department and supervise work of staff.
- Develop and execute a risk-based annual audit plan.
- Evaluate and document procedural and system based internal controls. Assess business risks that affect the mission’s objectives and recommend changes to senior management as needed.
- Devise comprehensive internal audit plans in accordance with applicable standards.
- Coordinate/perform financial, operational and compliance audits of the various Company ministry segments, including U.S. and International Field, Camping and Camp Administration, and Mission Leadership and Support Services.
- Coordinate/perform internal audit assignments as directed by the Chair of the Board of Trustees’ Finance Committee, President, and CFO; report findings and recommendations accordingly.
- Report material irregularities and the assessment of business risk semi-annually to the Chair of the Board of Trustees’ Finance Committee, President, and CFO.
- Report significant policy violations to applicable Senior Vice Presidents and supervisors.
- Assist with independent audit as requested by CFO.
- Administer the Fraud Hotline and perform related internal audits. Partner with Risk Management and Human Resources in the coordination of fraud investigations with law enforcement and the insurance carrier.
- Remain current on changes in regulations and best practices for audit, accounting and the non-profit industry.
- Perform related duties, travel and special assignments as required.
- Office environment.
- Occasional travel.
CPA or CIA credential
Experience Required For The Job:
- Ten years' experience in public accounting and/or internal auditing.
- Three years' auditing experience; internal audit preferred.
- Demonstrated self-starter.
- Able to focus on details and enjoy detailed analytical work.
- Supervisory experience with proven ability to lead and motivate staff.
- Strong verbal, written, organizational and relational skills with proven ability to resolve conflicts.
- Comfortable reporting at the senior management and board levels.
- Experience developing risk-based audit plans.
- Experience with accounting software: Lawson and Concur preferred.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite with an emphasis on Word and Excel.
- General knowledge of the Company ministry, policies and procedures.