The Information Systems Technology (IST) department provides Colorado Christian University’s multi-campus community with secure, reliable, enterprise-level support and services in an academic setting. The Network Administrator/Engineer will be responsible for performing network infrastructure administration duties, and assigned network projects as required.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supports and provides routine administration of the University’s telecommunications infrastructure.
- Installs, configures, and resolves problems with wired and wireless Ethernet hardware, routers, firewalls and WAN equipment.
- Supports and provides routine administration of the University’s Wireless and VoIP infrastructure.
- Provides upgrades for VoIP servers, routers, switches, firewalls at remote centers and makes recommendations to Network manager based on need and best practice.
- Monitors remote centers including firewall logs, network connectivity, and bandwidth utilization. Runs monthly Orion reports to observe over/under bandwidth utilization.
- Assists and provides system administration tasks of Linux based systems, including DNS/DHCP.
- Assists with administration of one or more of the following systems as assigned; Windows Servers (all versions), Active Directory DCs, Enterprise backup system, MS Exchange email server, VMware virtual servers, Remote Desktop server, Anti-virus/Anti-spam system.
- Assists with administration of Windows Active Directory, Group Policy (DHCP, DNS, and RADIUS).
- Ensures any changes made to systems, including remote centers is thoroughly documented and performed within a day or two in central knowledge base wiki.
- Learn new technologies and/or obtain certifications as technologies are added and replaced. Recommends updates, provides quotes, interfaces with vendors as needed.
- Provides high quality results in completing work orders, trouble tickets, service requests, and network projects, which includes independent research, planning and troubleshooting.
- Assists with miscellaneous tasks shared by IT Support team, such as transporting & installing equipment, researching new technology, etc.
- Provides 24x7 on-call network support based on a rotating schedule shared among the team. Assists with monthly maintenance windows to ensure servers are up-to-date and performing optimally.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- BS degree and one or more professional network certifications required.
- Recent work experience as a Network Administrator/Engineer in a Microsoft network environment required.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to balance multiple priorities.
- Unix/Linux administration strongly preferred.
- Strong customer service and communication skills in person, over the phone, and in writing.
- Ability to self-start, correctly prioritizes issues, and finds solutions to problems in unfamiliar situations with little or no assistance.
- Strong knowledge of wired/wireless networking and telecommunications hardware and software.
- Experience with open-source technologies and Linux-based servers desirable.
- Experience with network performance, optimization, and monitoring desirable.
Nature of Work Environment
While performing the duties of this job, you may be required to walk; stand; sit; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop; speak with clarity, have appropriate vision and hearing capabilities. Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard or workstation.The employee must occasionally lift and/or move objects of moderate weight (up to 50 pounds). Occasional irregular hours, including some nights and weekends and periodic local and regional travel is expected. (<10%)
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Colorado Christian University
Colorado Christian University is very different from the typical American university. We hold tightly to traditional values and high academic standards. We strive to impact our culture in support of traditional family values, sanctity of life, compassion for the poor, biblical view of human nature, limited government, personal freedom, and other such causes that preserve and promote high moral and ethical standards. More...