St. Paul’s United Methodist Church, Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Director of Youth Ministries (Youth Director)
Reports to: Associate Pastor
Effective: December 1, 2014
St. Paul’s United Methodist Church is one of the oldest and most respected churches in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. As a congregation, we are committed to service to our community and beyond. St. Paul’s enthusiastically supports a youth ministry
that is focused in the faith development and outreach of students, lived out in service to the church, community, and the world. We are called WORD Youth Ministry, and our mission is to inspire youth to know Christ, to share Christ’s love and share Christ’s
truth. Check out the church website www.stpaulsumc.org and look at our youth information and newsletters.
The Director of Youth Ministry will provide leadership to grades 5-12, emphasizing relationships with God and one another. These opportunities happen through Sunday school, Youth worship, Confirmation, Lunch fellowship, retreats, Bible study, local service
and summer mission experiences and are all important components.
Youth ministry is broken into three separate age appropriate focuses of Club 56 (grades 5-6) Mid-High (Grades 7-8) and High School (9-12), though there are times when some or all are joined in focused programming when appropriate.
- Vision, design, budget, and implement a comprehensive youth ministry for students, grades 5-12.
- Provide leadership of spiritual formation, worship, mission and fun.
- Incorporate young people fully into the life of the church and take their faith into the world.
- Eagerness to go beyond church walls in outreach, as well as supporting youth in school/ club activities
- Connect with parents for support and involvement within the ministry
- Recruit, train, supervise, and encourage adult volunteer youth sponsors.
- Responsible for working with a large church staff to schedule and calendar events
- Work collaboratively with other ministries of the church.
- Relate to the Youth Council.
- Enforce Safe Sanctuaries.
- Manage youth communications through all available means.
- Speak publicly, lead Bible study, and preach the gospel.
- Walk with youth/parents in crisis, knowing boundaries and when to refer to clergy or professional counseling.
- Set an example of importance of community worship through participation in Sunday morning/ special worship services.
- Be an advocate and liaison between the youth, parents, and congregation.
- Connect with other youth groups ecumenically and through the UMC to further positive peer pressure in support of our youth.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field. (Education/religion/communication/ministry.)
- Experience in leading youth ministry as part of a church staff
- Physically able to play active games with youth.
- To lead by example, working with teams on mission sites.
- Visionary for youth ministry
- Flexibility to remain relevant with youth and the youth culture.
- Vibrant and self-evident faith in Jesus Christ
- Integrity, Trust, Ethics and Values
- Self Differentiation
- Mission Ownership
- Initiative, Creativity and Innovation
- Spiritual Maturity & Biblical Knowledge
- Verbal Communication, Listening and Interpersonal Skills
- Compassion and Care
- Influencing and Team building Skills
- Management Skills
- Leadership Development
- Time Management
Contact Information Garr Hintz email@example.com 319-363-2058
Interested applicants should provide a completed St. Paul's United Methodist Church application for employment form (found on the church website www.stpaulsumc.org or on paper in the church office) and a resume to Garr Hintz at the church office by noon
Friday, November 28, 2014.