The primary function of the Volunteer Program Advisor is to create and implement a nimble, state-of-the-art model of volunteerism that mobilizes a variety of volunteers committed to Cityteam. This is accomplished in collaboration with programs and departments
throughout Cityteam including San Jose, Chester, Portland, Oakland and San Francisco. Specifically, we will rely on this individual to establish and maintain relationships with businesses, churches, organizations and institutions for the purpose of identifying,
recruiting and placing volunteers and corporate groups. The ideal candidate will plan, implement, monitor, and evaluate volunteer program activities that attract and retain qualified volunteers, develop and utilize innovative strategies to increase volunteers
with a passion to share Christ with the lost, serve as expert in the areas of volunteer program management, and provide staff training in volunteer management.
- Partner with staff, volunteers, churches, and corporate groups to ensure effective and quality delivery of information regarding Cityteam’s volunteer needs.
- Ensure volunteers have a meaningful experience serving at Cityteam, and conduct post-experience surveys to assess improvement opportunities.
- Develop and provide training to volunteer coordinators, supervising staff, and facilitate volunteer orientation into Cityteam.
- Develop systems and methods to ensure that opportunities are advertised, volunteers are signing in, and time is tracked.
- Develop an annual strategic plan of volunteer utilization, department needs assessment, and volunteer recognition program.
- Develop annual objectives, action steps, and budgets within the framework of Cityteam’s goals and budget constraints; monitor and report on progress and evaluate goal attainment.
- Demonstrate and promote a climate of courtesy, respect, and professionalism to coworkers, volunteers and clients served, and others with whom this position comes in contact with.
- Recruit, train, supervise, and evaluate a core group of volunteers to deliver volunteer training, activities and events.
- Manage the volunteer background check process, including ensuring that all volunteers who are in positions that require criminal background checks provide appropriate release.
- Provide advice, guidance, and support on all facets of volunteer engagement and development to include recruitment, processing, referrals, and appointments.
- Maintain adequate record keeping and database administration.
- Coordinate efforts with other departments and locations to ensure the proper knowledge and use of the integrated database system.
- Ensure the absolute security and confidentially of all volunteer records.
- Assist in the hiring, training, and orientation of new department staff.
- Provide and ensure professional, superior customer service is provided to all internal and external customers, members, volunteers, staff and other community contacts.
- Identify volunteer learning needs across all pathways and develops learning materials.
- Based on existing volunteer engagement and target markets, identify opportunities to cultivate volunteers into future donors.
- Participate in staff performance evaluation process in a timely manner as requested by the Human Resources Department.
- Bachelors degree from an accredited college or university in a related field and 3-4 years of progressive responsibility; or any combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the
essential functions of the job.
- Highly developed people and project management skills, with demonstrated ability to build relationships.
- Outstanding verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- High computer proficiency and skilled in use of MS Office Suite; strong spreadsheet and report writing skills.
- Excellent judgment, with the ability to work independently and manage multiple projects and deadlines.
- Strong management skills, including planning, problem analysis and resolution, organization of multiple priorities and staff supervision.
- Demonstrate sound time management skills by effectively and efficiently organizing, prioritizing, and completing multiple assignments in a timely manner.
- Commitment to Cityteam’s Statement of Faith.
- Must be willing to submit to background check.
- Willingness and ability to travel as needed; ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends.
- Bilingual preferred (Spanish/English)
- Must have a personal and consistent relationship with Jesus Christ and be active in a local Christian church.
- Must have compatible theology on major issues of Cityteam’s Statement of Faith.
- Must be committed to serving God and the body of Christ.
- Must have a teachable spirit and be committed to team participation.
- Must be committed to team participation and be able to give direction.
- Must be an initiator who can work under deadlines.
- Must be self-motivated and results oriented.
- Must be willing to work towards improving people and communication skills at all levels.
- Must be willing to learn office procedures, computer software, and other training sessions.