The Director of Donor Development is responsible for leading and participating with a small team of development personnel in securing 5, 6 and potentially 7- figure gifts from individuals, trusts, foundations, endowments, businesses and other charitable
giving tax-favored entities to advance the mission of ABWE using campaigns through restricted, unrestricted, planned and capital gifts. This will develop relationships on behalf of ABWE, guiding them through the development process to successful solicitation
and subsequent stewardship cycle. The Director of Donor Development is expected to spend considerable time developing his/her staff as well as developing relationships with major donor prospects either individually or in planning with ABWE executive personnel
(primarily the President & CEO of ABWE Ministries, ABWE Board Members, the Executive Director of the ABWE Foundation, Executive Committee Members or Global Directors) to organize outside the office meeting(s) with the prospects. Knowledge of both large capital
campaign project giving and deferred (i.e. planned) giving is a must. This position requires up to 60% Domestic travel (within the U.S. including some nights and weekends) as well as international travel (minimum of 1 overseas trip per year).
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Works closely with our President and ABWE Board Members in cultivating and developing a group of engaged Board trustees that introduce, invite and encourage ministry support partners who are able to contribute significantly to the Mission. Assists in hosting
Board Member prospect gatherings for relationship development and sharing capital project and other appeal presentations.
• Leads and manages a staff of approximately 5-6 Development personnel (Director of Planned Giving, Administrative Assistant, Contract Ambassadors, Contract Grant Writer and Others). Develops and implements strategies to cultivate and steward a development
department portfolio of approximately 150-200 major donor s (both existing and/or new prospects each year) for campaign-related gifts of a minimum of $10,000 and upwards of $500,000+. Responsible for raising $1-2 million annually, as a development team, in
all types of gifts but primarily for flagship capital campaign projects.
• Leads the flagship Capital Campaign Committee efforts for the Mission – as well as other large capital / project campaigns that may arise. Also develops relationships with campaign volunteers and recruit volunteer leadership in support of campaigns. May
supervise campaign volunteers and other support personnel (who will cross-train as needed).
• Leads and collaborates with the Director of Planned Giving, as well as the appropriate senior leadership team members across the Mission, for designing compelling case statements with clear value proposition(s), and strategies associated with individual
and group donor cultivation strategies.
• Works closely with Outside Consultants (such as The Timothy Group) to continue to enhance and improve donor development strategies, capital campaign techniques and other methods for building existing donor capacity and expanding into new constituency.
• Actively participates (prepared with strategies, etc.) at regular prospect review meetings with the Donor Development team and Outside Consultants (The Timothy Group as needed).
• Develops donor events with the Donor Development team members, plan individual meetings and telephone conversations and travel (specifically for the President & CEO of ABWE Ministries), and participate in internal and external networking functions in order
to position potential donors in the cultivation and stewardship process. This includes ABWE Board Member prospect gatherings.
• Requires the Development Staff to make a specific number of weekly contacts (phone, email, other) to schedule in-person appointments with prospects and existing major donors. The development staff will present a specific number of solicitation proposals
per month for major gifts of $10,000 and above.
• Works with Grant Writing Contractors / Experts to develop written grant proposals and maintain written correspondence (including follow up with external and internal constituents) in a Grant Application process in an accurate and timely manner.
• Maintains and updates relevant contact information and information related to the prospect/donor’s interest in ABWE fundraising activity as well as providing updated information to colleagues for future cultivation strategies. Develops, in collaboration with
IT team and President’s Office, a high value and low cost CRM software solution focused on major donor cultivation contact management.
• Performs other work-related duties as assigned by the Executive Director of the ABWE Foundation, Inc. and the Chief Operating Officer & Chief Financial Officer (COO & CFO/EVP) of ABWE Ministries as well as the President & CEO of ABWE Ministries, Inc.
• Travel: This position requires up to 60% Domestic travel (within the U.S. including some nights and weekends) as well as international travel (minimum of 1 overseas trip per year).
Education: Bachelor of Science or Arts degree required (BS or BSBA) and MBA plus additional fundraising course work/education preferred.
Minimum Prior Experience Required: Five (5) years of organizational fundraising or campaign marketing experience required, including demonstrated successful fundraising experience at the leadership gifts level.
• Outstanding leadership skills and a proven ability to effectively motivate, manage, and develop staff members.
• Experience working with Donor Management software (Donor Direct Studio Enterprise, Razor’s Edge, etc.) including Donor segmentation, cultivation and donor analytics.
• Must be comfortable with asking for major, stretch gifts from prospective donors.
• Knowledge of principles and practices of organization, planning, records management, and general administration.
• Joy-filled faith rooted in Jesus Christ.
• Motivated self-starter with the ability to remain focused on completing assignments.
• Strong relational skills.
• Outstanding communication skills, both verbal and written.
• Able to maintain information and documents that are highly confidential in nature.
• Demonstrates computer proficiency and is a skilled user of Microsoft Office Suite.
• Takes initiative and anticipates needs.
• Energetic and deadline oriented.
• Detail-oriented and organized. Exhibits great time management.
• Able to work alone or in a team environment.
• Exhibits sound judgment.
As an employee of ABWE you are an important member of a Christian organization. All staff members are Christian missionaries and are required to participate in chapel services. Because of the nature of our ministry it is absolutely necessary that you possess
and maintain a lifestyle that is above reproach. All ABWE employees must:
1. Be a current and active member and/or regular attendee of a Bible believing local church that aligns doctrinally with ABWE.
2. Be able to fully support ABWE's mission, vision, core values, doctrinal statement, and ministry philosophy.
3. Be a participant in morning staff prayer time.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit for long periods of time; talk or hear; perform fine motor, hand and finger skills in the use of a keyboard, telephone, or writing. The employee is frequently required to stand;
walk; and reach with arms and/or hands. Specific vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. The employee will spend their time in an office environment with a quiet to moderate noise level.
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS: In order to be considered for this position,
do not apply through this website. Please send the following items to
firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line of the email, include your name and the position.
• Resume and cover letter
• One-page testimony including the name of your local church
• Salary requirements
Visit www.abwe.org/jobs for more information.
ABOUT ABWE: ABWE was founded in 1927 as a ministry dedicated to fulfilling the command of Christ by sending out missionaries to take the good news of salvation to the ends of the earth.
Dr. Raphael Thomas, a graduate of Harvard Medical College, heard D.L. Moody challenge students to obey the command of Christ to take the gospel to every ethnic group. He committed his life to that cause and became ABWE’s first missionary.
Through the years, ABWE has partnered with more than 4,000 like-minded, baptistic churches to serve 1,000 missionaries serving in more than 60 countries around the world. Our International Administration and Training Center located near Harrisburg, PA employs
close to 100 full-time and part-time staff members.