This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Director of Operations
Water Missions International
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
Date Posted: 07/16/2008
Job Type: Full-Time
Water Missions International (WMI) is a Christian engineering organization whose mission is to provide sustainable access to safe water and an opportunity to hear the "Living Water" message of Jesus Christ in developing countries and disaster areas. The Director of Operations must be dedicated to serving Him through WMI's mission. This position requires the combination of applicable skills and experience combined with a clear calling from God. Because our mission is global, urgent, and the need is enormous, this position requires the temperament and energy to work in a dynamic environment. WMI is in a period of transitional growth that will take it from its current status to one of increased capacity and complexity able to meet the world's need for safe water. WMI manufactures and assembles a variety of water and sanitation solutions, testing equipment and related hardware using a largely volunteer workforce. WMI uses low maintenance, appropriate water technologies for drinking water treatment and distribution. This position directly reports to the VP of International Programs, and carries supervisory and oversight responsibilities for the volunteers assisting with the production and facilities tasks. The Operations function must be enhanced and expanded in coordination with WMI's other functions to ensure partner, donor, and customer expectations are met.
- Organize and lead the overall Operations functions for WMI (manufacturing, quality assurance/control, facilities, and supply chain management (purchasing, receiving, shipping, logistics, and inventory), capital projects, environmental, HAZMAT, and safety.
- Coordinate the integration of new product developments and product improvements into the Manufacturing area
- Establish Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and daily volunteer work assignments, providing sufficient on-the-floor guidance and quality inspection to insure work and product quality
- Negotiate supply agreements with vendors to insure supply at minimum cost
- Establish and maintain inventory min/max limits based on market demands for all stock items
- Establish an annual capital, resources and budget plan for the Operations area and review progress against goals and objectives monthly in support of WMIs strategic and operating plans
- Develop WMIs Operations staff and production volunteers spiritually and professionally by leading the organization to meet the challenges of WMIs mission
- Implement a flexible production plan that allows for periods of increased productivity of existing and new products in times of disaster response and other unplanned demand
Education and experience:
The Director of Operations must have an education and maturity commensurate with the intellectual, organizational and spiritual challenges of the position. A B.S. degree in an applicable Engineering and/or Science discipline and a minimum of five years experience in Manufacturing and Operations with supervisor experience is required. Computer skills and experience with Microsoft Office required. AutoCAD and MRP software experience is desirable.
- An evangelical Christian, sympathetic and committed to WMI's part in fulfilling the Great Commission
- Dignity, maturity and initiative to represent WMI successfully at the highest levels
- Organizational skills commensurate with growing an expanding base of production and operations
- Inspiring leadership in assembling and motivating a team
- Character above reproach that inspires donor and volunteer confidence in WMI's stewardship
- The ability to thrive in a highly fluid environment
- A "can do" attitude with eagerness to take on new tasks and coordinate the needed skills to accomplish project goals