This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
First Baptist Church-Wellsboro PA
Wellsboro, Pennsylvania, United States
Date Posted: 09/23/2008
Job Type: Full-Time
Job Description - Assistant Pastor
First Baptist Church, Wellsboro, Pa
I. Ministry Description
(Note: The following is a general summary of the position of Assistant Pastor. In all cases, the specific items in sections II - V determine the extent and duties of the position.)
The Assistant Pastor will primarily give direction and oversight to the churchs ministry to youth, both inside and outside the church, in order to encourage them to accept Christ as their Savior and to grow and develop as His followers. Secondarily, the Assistant Pastor will encourage ministry to young families, as well as other general ministry duties as assigned by the Senior Pastor. By implementing a planned program of activities, by enlisting the involvement of other church members, and by personal ministry with the target groups, the Assistant Pastor will seek to strengthen and advance the total ministry of First Baptist Church.
A. Youth - comprises ministry with kindergarten through college age.
B. Young Families - comprises ministry with couples, generally aged 22-40, with or without children but with emphasis on those with children aged K - 12 grade.
III. Office Responsibilities
A. Recognizing the unique nature of ministry, a flexible work schedule which sets general office hours as well as direct ministry-related time will be established in conjunction with the Senior Pastor.
B. Flextime is to be agreed upon with the Senior Pastor.
IV. Ministry Responsibilities
A. Develop youth ministry vision, goals and programming to reach youth for Christ, both inside and outside the church, and to encourage their spiritual growth and
B. Recruit, train (as necessary) and oversee adult workers in all ministries with youth, in conjunction with the Board of Christian Education.
C. Recommend to the Board of Christian Education for their approval materials used in the youth ministry.
D. Propose a youth ministry budget to the Board of Christian Education for their approval.
E. Plan, coordinate and, as needed, participate in youth activities including but not limited to: music events, seminars, retreats, mission trips, evangelistic outreaches, recreational activities, etc.
F. Work with local, denominational and other youth outreaches/events that are consistent with our churchs core beliefs and with our youth ministry vision.
G. Encourage youth in the development of their spiritual gifts and talents, devising opportunities to allow for their use inside and outside the church.
H. Develop a knowledge of our youth and their parents/guardians by regular contact through church ministries, attendance at school-sponsored events, home visits, etc.
I. While the conduct of youth ministry will reside primarily with adult volunteers it is anticipated that he will regularly assist by leading/teaching as needed.
J. Provide pastoral counseling (consistent with his level of training) to youth and parents (in issues related to youth/parenting), referring to more highly trained and/or experienced counselors when appropriate.
K. Maintain the highest levels of ethical and moral conduct and accountability, especially in the area of potentially sexually compromising situations, and communicating this same expectation to all adult youth workers. Appropriate clearances/background checks will be required.
L. Develop young families ministry vision, goals and programming to reach this segment for Christ, both inside and outside the church, and to encourage their spiritual growth and development.
M. Recruit, train (as necessary) and oversee workers in all ministries with young families, in conjunction with the Board of Deacons.
1. In the absence of the Senior Pastor, will have responsibility for hospital/crisis visitation.
2. Assist in worship services.
- The Assistant Pastor will officiate at Communion with the Senior Pastor.
- The Assistant Pastor does not have primary preaching responsibility but may be given limited opportunities to preach as determined by the Senior Pastor.
- He will conduct baptisms, weddings, and funerals in coordination with the Senior Pastor.
3. Attend at least one Sunday morning service weekly, alternating between them as necessary to maintain regular visibility to all segments of the congregation.
4. Attend all scheduled services and general activities of the church, unless absence is approved by Senior Pastor.
5. Attend Ministerium/pastor group meetings as requested by the Senior Pastor.
6. Be responsible for communicating to the church at large about the programs of the youth and young families ministries for informational purposes and for areas of needed prayer.
7. Other duties as assigned by the Senior Pastor.
The successful candidate will be:
- a committed, growing Christian evidencing spiritual maturity
- an energetic self-starter with good organizational skills
- a team player with a servant-leaders heart
- able to accept direction
- in full agreement with our churchs theological understanding (see "Beliefs" page on church web site: www.firstbaptistwellsboro.org)
The successful candidate will have:
- a bachelors degree
- ordination or be eligible to be ordained
- some experience in the areas of ministry outlined in this job description
The successful candidate will provide:
- a resume
- a doctrinal statement
- at least three sources of recommendations (ministry and academic)