This posting is no longer available. This is either because the employer has filled the position or the position has closed. Click here to find more jobs
like this one.
Embedded City Planning Advisor
Shelter for Life International
Kabul, , Afghanistan
Date Posted: 10/21/2008
Job Type: Full-Time
Shelter For Life International - Afghanistan (SFL) anticipates U.S. Government funding for its Kabul Municipality Capacity Building program in Kabul City. The objective of the program is to improve the human capacity of the Kabul Municipality in order to plan, launch, implement, evaluate, analyze, adjust and finance project activities. SFL seeks a qualified urban planner for the Embedded Municipality Advisor position for a 24-month Kabul Municipality Capacity Building project.
The position will work with its counterpart, the Project and Organizational Management Advisor to achieve the following:
Embedded Municipality Advisor
1. Lectures, workshops and related fieldwork on principles of urban planning, community development, site planning, zoning regulation, enforcement of building codes
a. Designing and conducting training programs on modern planning tools, techniques and methodologies.
b. Identifying appropriate usage of GIS in the management of Kabul Municipality and providing practical training in its applications.
2. Facilitate for peer-to-peer mentoring program, where a handful of highly competent individuals are mentored by the municipal advisor and they, in turn mentor their junior peers
3. Assisting the Municipality to prepare Detail Area Development Plans within the broader city development framework.
4. Working with the Kabul Municipality planning team to give technical inputs in the city planning process and to improve on the job training of the municipal staff.
5. Identifying and fostering relevant institutional partnerships, where needed, which are appropriate to further training and capacity building efforts on urban design.
6. Coordinate efforts with the Municipality personnel and the Mayors office
7. Coordinate efforts with other agencies that implement the USAID funded urban housing programs
8. Prepare weekly, monthly and quarterly updates/reports, as required by the donor & HQ
9. Develop and maintain productive relationships and communication for project coordination and implementation through local communities, regional coordination meetings, government programs, partner communications, INGO networks and donor agencies
10. Additional responsibilities may be assigned by Country Director, as necessary
Education and/or Experience Requirements:
Masters degree (or higher) in city planning and urban development with, at least, five (5) years of relevant experience, or
Bachelor degree in city planning and urban development with, at least ten (10) years of relevant experience
Experience in municipal policy development and execution
Project and administrative experience in a cross cultural environment
Experience in underdeveloped countries, preferably Afghanistan
Preferable experience in Central/South Asia, or countries with predominant Muslim populations
Experience with training/mentoring and capacity building of staff.
Personal Skills & Abilities:
Christian leadership skills; ability to maintain a positive work environment with professionalism
Strong teamwork and listening skills combined with excellent interpersonal skills and cross-cultural sensitivity
Ability to research, analyze, coordinate, & plan - both strategically and innovatively
Ability to assess complex programs and situations rapidly and form accurate opinions
Ability to respond practically and operate successfully in difficult field conditions
Willingness to adopt the use of locally appropriate technologies
Ability to be flexible, persistent and diplomatic and to gain respect among staff, local community leaders as well as local government ministries and donor organizations
Excellent written and verbal English; aptitude for languages (willing to learn Dari would be advantageous)