Development Manager, Hope for Youth
Organization Mission statement:
Hope for Youth builds and maintains ongoing Christian mentoring relationships with urban youth to challenge and enable them to reach their full potential spiritually, academically, and socially.
The Hope for Youth Development Manager will direct and manage the fundraising and development operations of the ministry. The Development Manager reports to the Executive Director (ED) and is responsible for conducting development and fundraising activities
to fund the ministry on an ongoing basis.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- In Development and Fundraising Strategy the Development Manager will:
- Create an annual fundraising and development plan (including a proposed grant opportunities and associated application timeline) that incorporates all constituent groups (i.e. individuals, foundations, churches, and corporations), and lead the execution
of that plan to ensure that annual ministry funding goals are met.
- Continuously research new prospects that might become interested in supporting the ministry (e.g. foundations, churches, philanthropists, etc.).
- Proactively explore new avenues for fundraising (e.g. Social Media, Peer to Peer Fundraising, etc.).
- In collaboration with ED, produce and distribute periodic appeal letters, quarterly newsletters, and annual report.
- Maintain, review, and enhance as necessary ministry marketing materials including brochures and website.
- In collaboration with ED, plan and execute annual fundraising events.
- Continually increase his/her working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the field of development and fundraising through formal training and self-study.
- In Development and Fundraising Operations/Administration, the Development Manager will:
- Be the main informational contact for current and prospective donors, including:
- Coordination and attendance at donor meetings
- Facilitation of site visits
- In conjunction with ED, make presentations on behalf of the ministry
- Prepare any necessary funding request documentation (e.g. grant request proposals, matching gift forms, etc.).
- Proactively communicate with current and lapsed donors to increase donor retention and engagement.
- Ensure all gifts are recorded and acknowledged in a timely manner (i.e. within 7 days of receipt of gift) including:
- Checks received via mail
- Online/Credit Card donations
- In-Kind donations
- Prepare and distribute all giving statements (e.g. end of year statements).
- Maintain accurate donor records (e.g. demographic and contact information, etc.).
Qualifications and Characteristics:
- A passion for urban youth ministry (i.e. an understanding of and firm commitment to the mission and values of Hope for Youth)
- A minimum of 3 years development/non-profit marketing experience with demonstrated results
- Demonstrated capability to perform the duties outlined above (preferably in a Christian, non-profit environment).
- Flexibility to work some evenings and weekends when events or programs are taking place
- Strong organizational skills (e.g. establishing processes, filing systems, etc.)
- Ability to quickly learn software/databases (e.g. donor management and volunteer tracking databases, etc.)
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse, professional team of both paid staff and volunteers
- Bachelor’s Degree
Salary Range: $40-$45,000