Job Title: High School Physical Science Teacher
Job Status: Part-time – Salary
Exempt Status: Exempt
Reports to: Department Lead
It is the primary responsibility of the teacher to provide classroom instruction to the students of The King’s Academy, as well as being a positive role model to them. Teachers should view their role as ministry, helping each student towards reaching their full potential in Christ.
Physical Science is designed to provide a conceptual framework for advanced study in Chemistry and Physics. The course covers Newtonian mechanics, forces, linear and circular motion, energy, momentum, matter (the atom, solids, liquids, gasses) thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism. The chemistry portion looks at the periodic table, electron configurations, chemical and physical properties, chemical reactions and balancing, acids and bases, and oxidation-reduction (redox) reactions. The intent of the course is to be very interactive and hands-on, rather than mathematical. Physical science is approved by the University of California as a standard laboratory class with experiments and formal reports as an integral part of the coursework.
A physical science teacher will need to have a thorough grounding in physics and a desire to help students understand how physical principles work and are used in real life. The teacher will need to be comfortable with managing students in a laboratory environment, as well as committing to the time to set up and take down laboratory materials.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Properly maintain lab equipment and supplies.
- Create and implement suitable lesson plans, using the school’s ESLRs in planning and preparing them.
- Adapt teaching materials and expectation for students enrolled in the Student Support Services program to meet their accommodations.
- Create and implement authentic assessments (formative and summative).
- Collaborate with colleagues in providing a unified learning environment.
- Implement the new UC curriculum and modify as appropriate, including identifying needed equipment and supplies in a timely manner to the department lead.
- Use technology in the classroom to enhance learning.
- Record the day’s or week’s homework on the TKA online portal for access by students and parents.
- Grade all assignments, tests, quizzes, and projects in a timely manner, using the grading scale provided by the school.
- Keep an accurate record of all grades for each student, submitting them to the Registrar in a timely manner.
- Keep an accurate record of all attendance and tardies for each student.
- Communicate with parents on an “as needed” basis regarding their student’s academic or behavioral status in the class.
- Check voice messages and emails daily, at a minimum.
- Return phone calls and emails within 24 hours.
- Keep an accurate record of all communications with parents.
- Maintain discipline in the classroom to insure maximum learning.
- Attend Grade Level and Department meetings, as scheduled.
- Provide an uncluttered, healthy, and neat area that promotes a good learning and working environment.
- Always keep an emergency lesson plan and current substitute folder in case of an unexpected absence.
- Advise the Department Lead as soon as plans to be away from the classroom are being considered.
- Lead a daily student homegroup.
- Attend the Staff Retreat every year, as scheduled by the Administration.
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned.
- Commitment to serving Christ
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Physics, Chemistry or related field
- Three to five years teaching experience at high school or junior college level.
- Experience with lab-based courses.
- Experience in industry in a science or engineering position a plus.
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills are required.
- Energetic, empathetic, innovative, flexible and resourceful.
For more information, go to www.tka.org
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
CounselorSeoul Foreign School
- Seoul, Not Assigned
- September 26
Early Education TeacherCommunity 54:13 dba Children's Promise Centers
- Albuquerque, New Mexico
- September 21
Residential Counselor for Struggling TeensHeartlight Ministries
- Hallsville, Texas
- September 15
Family Teaching Couple (House Parents)The Children's Home
- Amarillo, Texas
- September 14
Overseas University English TeachersAcademics In Asia
- China, China
- September 7
The King's Academy
Located in Sunnyvale, CA, The King’s Academy is a private Christ-centered college preparatory school for students in grades 6-12. The school was established in 1991. The King’s Academy is for students who have teachable hearts and coachable spirits. We offer a loving, family environment where students are encouraged to grow in their relationships with Jesus, their family, teachers, and others. We are committed to developing God’s best for each student spiritually, academically, morally, and socially through every program an More...