Bay Area Rescue Mission (BARM)
Vice President of Development
Richmond, California (near San Francisco)
Statement of Purpose
To share the Gospel of Jesus Christ with the homeless and needy and empower them to change their world.
Statement of Vision
To assist every homeless and impoverished person who comes to us in need by providing a holistic continuum of care environment. From short-term emergency services through long-term live-in recovery programs and on to transitional living assistance, the
Bay Area Rescue Mission’s innovative programs account for the fact that more than 80% of all graduates have remained successful.
The Opportunity: Vice President of Development
The Vice President of Development directs and administers the fundraising programs and is responsible for the implementation of strategic plans to achieve its annual campaign objectives, in prayer and dependence on Jesus Christ. Reporting directly to the
President/CEO, she/he will develop and create fundraising strategies, communicate BARM’s vision and purpose, and, secure critical support and resources to fulfill and advance its mission.
This senior-level staff member works closely with the President/CEO and is responsible to direct, develop and administer resource development initiatives, while upholding, promoting and encouraging, in word and deed, the organizational culture and core values.
This position will direct, develop and manage the efforts of the Development staff to ensure all aspects of the Department are fully optimized, to ensure successful outcomes of all fundraising activities. The next Vice President of Development will be devoted
to serving BARM’s mission and the community, ultimately furthering the profound impact of its Christian ministry throughout the Bay Area in the larger San Francisco, California region.
The Qualified Candidate
The Bay Area Rescue Mission is seeking an experienced and accomplished Christian fundraising professional to build and lead the philanthropic initiatives for the organization, including the Bridge of Hope Center for Women & Children capital campaign. Reporting
directly to the President/CEO, this individual will be self-motivated, results-oriented, creative, resourceful, entrepreneurial, highly energetic, and intelligent, with exceptional interpersonal, communication and organizational skills and the ability to appreciate
and encourage a team perspective. A strong working knowledge of the Bay Area philanthropic marketplace will add tremendous value to the qualifications the candidate brings. A servant leader, she/he will be an expert at staff management and leadership, and
goal-oriented with demonstrated ability to head the department and support a highly effective team in cultivating relationships with donors and other important community stakeholders. This is an exceptional opportunity for a deeply committed Christian and
dynamic development professional with a compelling desire to grow BARM’s contributed income base to enable the organization to meet the growing needs of homeless individuals in the Bay Area of northern California. The successful candidate will be collaborative,
compassionate and invested in achieving BARM’s short- and long-term fundraising goals.
Specific Requirements Include:
- Mission-driven with a dedication and passion for making a difference in people’s lives.
- Minimum 7-10 years of successful experience in a fundraising/development leadership role.
- 5+ years with progressive leadership responsibilities in a supervisory capacity as head of a department or managing a multi-person team.
- A successful track record in developing and executing revenue generating programs, including capital campaigns.
- Gifted communicator, possessing excellent verbal, written and presentational skills.
- Demonstrated abilities in financial management, stewardship, and developing strategies to successfully increase revenue, including meeting/exceeding fundraising goals.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Nonprofit Management Administration, or, related field. Master’s degree and/or CFRE designation preferred.
- Proven success with fundraising and a strong working knowledge of the Bay Area-San Francisco’s philanthropic market preferred.
- Maintain awareness and understanding of issues regarding homeless, rescue, and funding environments on a local and national level.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products (e.g., Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint) and donor database management systems, preferably Raiser’s Edge.
Personal Attributes and Values required by BARM:
- Have a personal relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ and a deep desire to serve Him.
- Be a consistent witness for Jesus Christ.
- Exhibit spiritual maturity as defined by evangelical biblical standards and in accordance with BARM’s Qualifications for Employment.
- Have a heart of compassion and caring toward the homeless and hurting and be passionate about ministering life transformation in an urban setting.
- Demonstrates a courteous and Christ-like manner with internal and external partners.
- Highly ethical with the ability to make smart, rapid decisions, and, demonstrates an excellent integrity.
- Flexible, cooperative spirit.
The Bay Area Rescue Mission is a 501 (c) (3) nonprofit, evangelical Christian ministry. As such, employees must share the BARM Statement of Faith and Qualifications for Employment upon hire and continuously while employed. Employees must also adhere to
the Bay Area Rescue Mission’s Employee Handbook. This position also requires a Conflict of Interest Statement and a Confidentiality Statement. As a religious, nonprofit organization, the Bay Area Rescue Mission is exempt from Title VII, Civil Rights Act
of 1964, as it relates to discrimination because of religious beliefs under a Bona Fide Occupational Qualification.
BARM offers a competitive salary with generous benefits.
The search is being managed by Heather Eddy, CFRE, President and CEO of Alford Executive Search. To apply, candidates should submit their cover letter and resume and complete the online application at http://alfordexecutivesearch.com.
No applications will be accepted via email. Questions may be addressed to Kathrene Wales at
Alford Executive Search - The KEES to Effective Leadership is a retained search firm dedicated to providing placement services of exceptional quality.