Primary Purpose and Function:
The primary responsibility of this position is to manage and oversee the editorial process; this involves taking a manuscript from contract to production. The individual in this position is responsible for working with authors to substantively edit their
manuscripts and prepare them for printing and electronic distribution, as well as coordinating the work of outside editors.
In addition, they will be the team leader for the editorial department.
- Works with the publisher to strategically shape the future goals of the publishing department as it relates to acquisitions, editorial processes, and the position of CLC Publishing in the industr
- Supervise and lead the editorial team
- Work with authors and their manuscripts to produce a clean, well formed document that is ready for production and distribution.
- Do substantive edits of the manuscripts to ensure a good flow and easily readable text.
- Apply all appropriate rules from our in house style guide and the Chicago Manual in order to ensure grammatical consistency.
- Work with typesetter/ desk top publisher to ensure books are properly typeset.
- Work with graphic designer and author to ensure an effective cover is created for the book.
- Write back cover copy and other related materials including author bios
- Line edit and copy edit books and/ or work in conjunction with other editors to ensure that this is done.
- Work with proof reader to ensure books are properly reviewed and corrected before being sent to production.
- Work with authors at every stage of the editorial process to ensure their books are produced with excellence and they are satisfied with the editorial process.
- Work with outside editors as needed to ensure manuscripts are properly edited and completed within preset deadlines.
- Work with the sales, marketing and customer service team members to ensure an effective hand off of the author once the book goes to production and that these other team members have adequate information about the book at every stage in the process
- Work with the editorial team to ensure all books assigned are completed by agreed upon deadlines and keep all team members aware of potential changes in deadlines.
- Work with Publisher to meet goals of the publishing department for annual number of budgeted new titles and reprints.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
The applicant must possess a solid grasp of English grammar, punctuation rules and a working knowledge of editorial and publishing techniques and practices.
This person must have prior supervisory or team leadership responsibility.
Ideally, they will have prior experience as a book editor and a college degree in a related area.
Prior experience working in a Christian publishing house is a plus.