The Network Engineer is a full-time, exempt position reporting to the Network Manager. The Network Engineer will be responsible for performing network infrastructure administration duties and network projects. This position works within the Information Systems
Technology (IST) group providing Colorado Christian University's (CCU) multi-campus community with secure, reliable, enterprise-level support and services in an academic setting.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Installs, configures, and resolves problems with wired and wireless Ethernet hardware, routers, firewalls and WAN equipment.
- Provides primary support for remote centers, including network connectivity related to LAN/WAN/VoIP.
- Support and provides routine administration of the University's telecommunications infrastructure.
- Supports and provides system administration tasks of Linux based systems, including DNS/DHCP.
- Responsible for administration of Windows 2003, 2008, and 2012 servers, Active Directory, Group Policy (DHCP, DNS, and RADIUS) and e-mail servers.
- Data protection and disaster recovery required by performing common tasks in Enterprise Backup software, such as backups, restores, data aging, and tape rotation.
- Provides high quality results in completing work orders, trouble tickers, service requests, and network projects, which include independent research, planning, and troubleshooting.
- Work with IT Support team to transport, install equipment, research new technology, etc.
- Provides 24x7 on-call network support based on a rotating schedule shared among the team. Assists with monthly maintenance windows to ensure servers are up-to-date and performing optimally.
- Assists in procuring network and telecommunications hardware, software, services, and other equipment used by CCU, ensuring timely arrival.
- Completes network projects to deploy and configure network and telecommunications services as required, and report regularly on project status.
- Respond in a timely manner to end user inquiries via e-mail, phone or the IT Technical Support work order system.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Skills / Requirements
- Recent work experience as a Network Administrator/Engineer in a Microsoft network environment required.
- BS degree in Computer Science/Computer Information Systems or other related field.
- Strong knowledge of networking, wired/wireless networking and telecommunications hardware and software.
- Excellent time management skills and multi-tasking ability as well as a self-starter.
- Prioritize issues and find solutions in unfamiliar situations with little or no assistance.
- Cisco CCNA certification highly desirable.
- Experience with network performance, optimization, and monitoring desirable.
- Unix/Linux administration strongly preferred.
- Experience with open-source technologies and Linux-based servers desirable.